Sunday, September 8, 2013

Theme Shaped Ravioli for Baby Showers, Parties, Super Bowl, and More

 Quick recap on making ravioli:

In a mixer with a dough hook, mix 2 C AP flour with a pinch of salt.  Add 3 eggs, one at a time.  Add 1 TB of oil.  Mix until it forms a ball.  Turn out on a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.  Cover with plastic wrap and rest it for 30 minutes.  You can also add in herbs as desired, mix them with the flour/salt mix in first step.

You will want to work in smaller pieces of the dough ball (thirds or so) to prevent it drying out.  Roll it out about 1/8th in thick or so on a floured surface.  Cut it to your desired shape.  I had a really hard time deciding between ducks and stars...but this guy was just too cute.

Cut out the ducks and then fill with desired filling.  This filling pictured is 1 sweet potato, peeled and boiled until tender, mixed with 1 TB butter and a little ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
 Wet the edges with water, and lay the top layer over it.  Press any air out from around the filling and press the edges down.  Crimp with a fork.

Sit it on a floured cookie sheet and continue on with the rest of the ducks and dough.

You have a couple of cooking options.  You can boil these 4-6 minutes in salted water at a rolling boil and top with your favorite sauce (maybe it is a cute birthday meal for a youngin').  OR you can bake them until crispy for an appetizer party food!
To bake these, I mixed about 1/4 C Chobani Plain 2% Greek Yogurt (sour cream will work too) with 4 TB or so of milk (I really just slopped some in there).  You want a base that is thick enough that it will stay on there, think egg batters.  In fact, you could probably use an egg batter for this.

I am an egg hoarder, however, because they are a critical breakfast food for me.  I had PLENTY of extra Greek on hand.

Anyway in another small bowl mix cinnamon sugar together (up to you on how cinnamon-y you want it).  Dip the ravioli first in the yogurt mix, and then in the cinnamon mix.  Lay on a greased baking sheet.  If you want to avoid some serious scrubbing, allow me to suggest parchment paper and adjust your cooking time as needed.

I was afraid these might run all over the place as I had never made them before, so I put mine in my cake pan just to avoid it getting all over my oven.  They did not, however, run anywhere and I would have been just fine making them on a cookie sheet. 

Bake at 375 for 14-16 minutes, maybe a little longer if using parchment paper (have not tried that, so just be wary).  You can also coat these with breadcrumb and parmesan for a savory bite.  The combinations of fillings and breadings are numerous!

These ducks would be so cute for a baby shower, or even better...A DUCK DYNASTY PARTY!

I had made these yesterday and frozen them, fully intent on waiting a week or so to use them.  But the cuteness was overwhelming, I had to give it a go.  I made up a few quick dipping sauces of yogurt mixed with caramel, one with honey, and one with maple.  The caramel was the best (even though I still am displeased with my Smucker's caramel for lack of flavor).  I finally got to use my trio tray.

Flowers would be adorable, stars, apples with an apple filling in them would be genius, FOOTBALL shaped ravioli for Super Bowl...there are a lot of things that you can do this with.  The dough should make 15-25 ravioli depending on how big your cutter is, and these can be made up in advance and then frozen.  I let mine thaw before coating and baking them.

These are definitely on my graduation party radar for Spring.

Happy crafting!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment