Thursday, October 18, 2012

Salt Dough Revisted: Watercolor Perfection

 Many moons ago I made salt dough for super cheap.  I mean ridiculously cheap.  I made all these interesting things and then mulled over how I was going to get fancy color on them.

Then I went to Hobby Lobby and couldn't get my markers I wanted and bought Watercolor paints.

See where I am going with this?

So after I painted the $1 canvases, I peered at my salt dough, and shenanigan schemes ran amok in my brain.

Amok amok amok.

If your favorite Halloween movie isn't Hocus Pocus, you are not American.
 Hey, what a coincidence.  This little pendant is legitimately American.  American made and everything. AND HE WANTS YOU TO VOTE! And pray for America. Pray, then vote, actually.

I painted the dough with the watercolors, let them dry completely, and then mixed up equal parts of ice resin to coat them.

My favorite way to mix ice resin is by plastic spoonfuls into those plastic cups that ranch comes in at restaurants.

Yes, I am serious. It works really well.

Then I put a small bit of resin on the spoon and spread it over the pendant. To dry, I sat them on beer caps so that the resin would not stick them to my wax paper.  Thank goodness for beer drinking friends is all I have to say.  They have no idea how helpful they are.

For this, I used my Pentel Sign Pen to draw the flower, I was going for a poppy type print but it sort of looks like a tulip.

And I sort of don't care.

I gave it time to dry and then put the watercolors on, trying to avoid smearing the lines as much as I could.

Again, resin coating on all of these.  I did not do the peacock yet because I want to get some small rhinestones to put in the tail and glue down before I coat the stuff in resin.

How cool is it though, that you or someone else could wear your paintings?
This little guy, besides the USA one by default, is my FAVORITE.  I love it.  It reminds me of a silk purse I have with Old Navy, especially with the way the colors bled together a little.  It was perfect.

It IS perfect.

So for really really minimal investment, except if you have to buy new resin because resin is a little pricier, you can have completely unique jewelry that MEANS something to you. 

You can personalize it to anything you can paint, any colors you want, and similar.

I am betting you could also use markers if you need more controlled color.  But don't be afraid of watercolors because they are forgiving and are worth some trial and error.

If I am not mistaken, the mix was 1 c flour, 1 c salt, and some water.  But double check that just to make sure.  So you add a little paint and A SPOONFUL EACH of resin and the catalyst and seriously you can have pendants.

How cheap is that?

I would advise painting the back after you have the resin done and putting a few coats of modpodge on it.  I personally wouldn't waste the resin on the back.  But I would seal it with a few layers.  Basically I just suggest painting the back because, I don't know about you, but my necklaces always turn around now and then while I am wearing them.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment