Thursday, September 26, 2013

Glazed Cinnamon Raisin Biscuits

Ingredients:
-2.5 C AP flour
-1.5 C milk
-6 TB butter
-1 TB baking powder
-Pinch of salt
-2 TB sugar
-1.5 tsp cinnamon (more if you like a lot of cinnamon)
-1/4 C raisins or other dried fruit

GLAZE:
-1.5 C powdered sugar
-1 to 2 TB milk (less if you want a thicker glaze that sets harder, more if you want a thinner glaze, you can always up the powdered sugar as needed)
-3 shakes of ginger (or use vanilla for flavor, your preference.  I like ginger in everything and like the taste of glaze without vanilla as well)

Preheat your oven to 400F and grease a baking sheet.  Mix up all the biscuit ingredients and drop blobs of them (neat, orderly, similarly sized blobs of course) onto the cookie sheet.  Bake for 14-18 minutes, taking them out when they start to brown a bit.  I use dark nonstick in a gas oven, so my ultimate times may be a little different than yours. I would certainly not let these get too brown, as they are so delightful and soft when they are just starting to brown on top.

Pull them out of the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.

I have a confession, and you might have already noticed it in the picture...I put saran wrap over my wire rack to glaze these...

In my defense, I don't have a dishwasher and I just cleaned off my counter and most of my dishes. I really did not want to get my other baking sheet dirty, so I decided that I would just be wasteful for once.  I am really looking forward to being home for the weekend, and I am really tired of washing off my counter!

I made a thick glaze so I just poured mine straight from the bowl I mixed it in (with a high tech mixer called a knife, mind you) over the biscuits. 

And then I ate one, which explains the gap in the biscuits in the picture.  OMG I must say I really liked it.  And boy were these simple.  They are a lot like a scone, but with no work...I like that about them!

This idea came out of a brainstorm between me and my mom.  It never fails, when I am really flat lining on ideas of what to make for the blog, I always call her up.  When she said this idea, I perked right up from my bleh-mood of not knowing what I wanted to make.  She is definitely where I get my kitchen creativity from.

AND I get to return the favor and bring these home this weekend for tasty enjoyment.

You may find that you want to add more sugar to the base biscuit recipe if you do not want to glaze them.  I, however, did not want an overly sweet biscuit, as when I eat cinnamon raisin English muffins they are not overly sweet.  Plus, I knew I would glaze these so there would be a lot of sugar in that. Adjust it however you see fit.

Breakfast is going to be legit in the morning!

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment