Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Gourmet Grilled Cheese: Bacon, asparagus, mozzarella

You need:
-2 strips of bacon, cut in half
-6 asparagus spears
-a couple slices of fresh mozzarella
-2 slices of Eurograin or similar whole grain yummy bread

Get a skillet heating on medium to medium-high heat.  Get a plate ready and put both slices of bread on it, one with the cheese (or divide the cheese between the two if you like).  You are going to cook the insides of the sandwich first, then assemble it, then cook it as a grilled cheese.

Drop the bacon in the skillet and give it about 2 minutes, then add in the asparagus.  This process will leave you with a crunchier asparagus, which I was perfectly fine with as I wanted some texture from it.

IF you completely have no interest in crunch asparagus, steam the asparagus first. 

Cook the bacon with the asparagus, and remove the bacon when it is sufficiently crispy.  Drain if needed on a paper towel before putting on the cheese.  Cook the asparagus a few minutes longer, basically until it blisters or is to your desired level of done-ness.

Assemble the sandwich and transfer the asparagus to it.  Drain the excess bacon grease out of the skillet and wipe off any that spills down the outside.  Add just the TINIEST little smear of butter to each side of the bread, return the skillet to the heat, and put your sandwich.  I popped a lid on mine for about 3 minutes to trap the heat in and get my cheese melting.

Cook until brown and then flip, again cooking until your desired level of brown-ness.  I like to smoosh mine with a spatula right after I flip it...I really do smoosh everything it seems.

I served mine up with some cucumber slices to act as crunchy chips, and to add a slightly more healthy element to the meal. 

I got this idea because I was thinking about making some bacon wrapped asparagus.  I have a really obnoxious smoke alarm that literally goes off as soon as my oven comes on, regardless of the fact there is no smoke anywhere. I developed an elaborate scheme of putting press and seal over it for when I cook, always taking it down promptly after dining.  That annoying smoke alarm, my lack of interest in finding my press and seal cover, partnered with the fact that the forecast for today says it will be over 90 (and as I look at my computer weather widget, it is in fact 92) made me less than interested in turning on my oven.

AND THAT is how this fantastic grilled cheese was created.  The irony is that I have veggie beef soup going in my crockpot for when I get back after my night class, which I suppose is not a 92 degree day type of meal either.  But it is comfort food, and you definitely need comforting after a night class that long. This sandwich was quite comforting, I feel my mood rising as I type!

This was such a tasty lunch that I am glad I did not want to turn on my oven.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment