Monday, September 30, 2013

Spicy Seared Salmon, Rice Medley, and Avocado

Ingredients (per person):
-1 salmon filet
-1/2 C brown rice medley (Trader Joe's)
-1 Avocado (as much as desired once cut)
-Butter
-Cajun/creole seasoning

Technically...I don't know if these foods are really supposed to go together.  My taste buds, however, would like to put up a pretty good argument for why they do.

Get the recommended amount of water boiling for the rice with 1.5 TB butter and a couple pinches of salt (I used sea salt).  Cook the rice medley as directed.

When there is approximately 6 minutes left, heat a skillet with a tablespoon of butter and drop the salmon filet when it is hot.  Sprinkle the top side with a heavy dusting of your creole seasoning (mine was Zataran's, nothing too fancy) and salt if it does NOT already have it in it (Z's has an obscene amount, so I omit salt). 

Cook the salmon about 3 minutes on the first side, you should notice the butter starting to brown.  Flip and cook another 2-3 until it is done to your liking.  I tend to get mine a nice toasty color on each side.  I tend to err on the side of a little more done when it comes to most meats. 

Also with all meats, you only need to flip this guy once.  Don't mess with it before it is ready!

Cut the avocado in half lengthwise, remove the pit, and scoop out with a spoon in one fell swoop.  Slice that little bugger up and serve alongside your rice and salmon deliciousness.

I happen to eat an entire avocado at a time when I have a spicy something.  I know this may not exactly be the healthiest, even though it is good fat it could still be a lot of fat...but I don't care.  I love avocados and especially love them with zesty fish and rice. And I don't know enough about their nutritional value to know if I should not eat it all at once, so ignorance is bliss ;).

I also happen to be WILD about this rice medley! It is seriously way more delicious than boring white rice.  It had texture, but it got done well.  It had pizzazz.  And it has 6 grams of protein per serving.

And you know how I love protein.

This is going to be a difficult meal to top this week.  It was a nice light dinner that kept me full a long time.  I will be buying that rice medley for some time to come!  A half cup goes a lot further than you would think once it is cooked, so be aware.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment