Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings

Ingredients:
-4 Chicken tenderloins
-5 C water
-2 TB butter
-1 large carrot, diced
-1 TB very finely minced onion (I am an onion minimalist, you can use more as you like)
-1/3 C frozen corn
-Salt
-1/4 tsp marjoram
-1/4 tsp garlic
-pepper
-thick cut dumplings (I used my ravioli dough recipe, made pieces about 1/4th inch thick, and froze them for this occasion.  I based my ravioli dough on a Tyler Florence recipe at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/pasta-dough-for-ravioli-recipe/index.html)

So let me start of by saying that I loathe cream of junk soup.  If you had your heart set on a recipe that used them, I am sorry.  I prefer clear broth and nonquestionable ingredients.

And I highly prefer crockpots for soup.  Basically they are fantastic.  All you need to do is throw everything except the dumpling bits in (you can also use biscuit dough if you like) and let it cook on high for about 5 hours.  If you are going to be gone all day, just cook it on low.

Toss the dumplings in about 30 minutes to 1 hour before it is finished.  Mine were frozen so I kept them in around an hour or a little over.

This soup was delicious, and it completely hit the spot on a day that I was actually rather sick.  I managed to land myself with a stomach bug. Delightful. Fingers crossed that it will be out of my system by tomorrow.

Fingers crossed that I remember to grab the sanitizing wipes out of my car when I get back from work also to wipe down everything I own...

It has actually been a while since I had a bug that progressed this far, but luckily I was able to take the day off.  That is something I rarely do, but in the grand scheme of things every now and then I think you have to give yourself a break.  Life will chug along just fine, and it helps to remember that there are things important for you and your personal health.

Plus, let's face it, some people are walking around with some pretty shoddy immune systems and I would have been a plague carrier for them.  Ah yes, let's say I stayed home for the greater good ;).

The point is, this soup is FANTASTIC and will definitely be happening again in my apartment.  I will thoroughly enjoy eating it for lunch tomorrow.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment