Sunday, August 18, 2013

Creamy Fruit Salad (Chobani and Honey base!)

Ingredients:
-1 pack of raspberries
-2 mangoes, peeled and cubed
-1 navel orange, flesh cubed
-1.5 C grapes
-1/2 C Chobani 2% Plain Greek Yogurt
-2 TB honey
-2 shakes ginger
-1 Pack of true lime (or lime zest, I was out of fresh limes and True Lime is AMAZING!)
-4 drops lemon extract (or a squirt of lemon juice)

Chop the fleshy parts of the mangoes and orange into small cubes. Add them and the other fruit (whole) to a bowl.  In another small bowl, combine the Greek Yogurt, honey (always buy locally sourced!), ginger, lime, and lemon extract.  Mix well. 

I mix it in a separate bowl so that it combines better and does not cause me to break apart my raspberries more than needed.

Add the Greek mix to the fruit and fold together. Chill overnight.

I would just like to say that the Greek mixture was good enough to eat by itself.  Tasty! I wanted to make up a few things tonight that I could eat on throughout the week.  The Meijer here had amazing prices on raspberries and other fruit, so it was a perfect way to make up a quick side.  This tastes like some versions of Ambrosia I have had, mostly due to the inclusion of the orange, but it is substantially yummier in my opinion.  And it does not have the heavy cream in the base, another bonus.  You could even add in some slivered almonds for a little crunch!

Meijer for me is proof that a good produce section can completely change your shopping pattern.  I used to shop at Wal-Mart when I was in my undergrad because I was in a town without a Meijer.  At Wal-Mart, I always shop back to front, which puts produce last.  At Meijer, my shopping trip and weekly meals focus on the produce section.  Even though I meal plan ahead to get a general idea of what I want to buy for the week, I always am ready to adjust on the fly when something like a pack of raspberries pops up for A DOLLAR.  The quality and prices of fruit are exceptionally good at the Meijer where I am now.

Raspberries, especially, have some impressive health stats and nutrients, so I highly suggest capitalizing on them when they are on sale.  They are a good snack in and of themselves, but this fruit salad is a great way to have a little variety in a waistline-friendly sort of way. 

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment