Thursday, August 29, 2013

Strawberry Crisp (using frozen berries leftover from a sale)

 For a small (2 serving) Dish:
-about 1 C strawberries, thawed (I left mine whole)
-Lemon juice or extract
-1 tsp honey
-Dash of ginger
-1/4 (or equal parts if increasing the recipe) oats, almond flour, and brown sugar combined (fine to use regular flour if you don't have almond flour)
-About 1 TB or so of butter

Once the berries are thawed you will want to drain them and then toss them in a the honey and lemon.  Just a squeeze of lemon is needed, or a drop or two of extract.  It really helps them have a bright fresh flavor.  You don't necessarily have to add in ginger, but a little hint of it is a berry's best friend in my opinion.
Preheat your oven to 350 and layer the berries first and then the oat mixture.  I would suggest melting the butter and pouring it on, but I don't have a microwave just yet and could not make that happen.  I left mine as pats on there, and it still turned out alright although mine did not adhere into a hard topping.

Strangely enough some of my brown sugar stayed in its clumps instead of properly melting.  I will attribute this to mine coming in contact with too much humidity in my apartment.  I should probably have put it in something a little better than a Ziploc bag.  The great thing about a crisp is that even if it doesn't turn out perfect...it is still delicious.

Bake for about 22 minutes, I would highly suggest something better than a glass dish. I do not have any ramekins here or small metal pans of any sort (although I guess I could have used my loaf pan but I just now realized that).  I have never been a fan of baking in glass, and things never seem to get done as properly.

Again though, even a slightly off crisp is very tasty!

Like I said the berries had a really bright flavor in this, and this one was EXCEPTIONALLY good cold the next day.  In fact, I think I liked this one even better cold than I did hot.  An apple one? Way better hot.  But this one was even more flavorful when it got nice and chilly in my fridge.

Crisps are a great way to use those berries that you buy too many of when the store has them on sale for a dollar and they are starting to go bad in your fridge...I am sure none of you are so drawn in by fruit sales that you buy more than you can use, of course ;).  That is surely only an error in my shopping tendencies!

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment