Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Strawberry Pancakes

 Ingredients:
-1/3 c of strawberries, cut up into small pieces and refrigerated overnight with 2 TB sugar and a little lemon zest
-1 container of Mott's Strawberry Applesauce
-3 TB milk
-1 C Krusteaz pancake mix
-2 second squirt of honey

Mix all the ingredients, butter a griddle, and use a 1/4 c measuring cup to pour the batter out.  Cook them on a few sides each and serve them up with maple syrup or your choice of topping.

I don't have much interest in plain pancakes.  I don't have much interest in plain anything, I have come to the realization.  Plain pancakes have been done a million times over.  Some people tell me that they prefer the regular ole buttermilk ones, I would argue this is because they haven't tried really perfect pumpkin ones. 

I would suggest not leaving out the zest in these.  It really brightened them up.  I zested 3 different spots on a lemon until I was happy with the amount that was on the berries. A little dash of lemon juice is also fine, it helps the berries start juicing without needing a ton of sugar. 

When I make these again sometime, I think I also might put a tiny kick of ginger in with them.  I really like ginger and blackberry together, enjoyed it in my blueberry pancakes, and so I assume I would like it in these as well.  It just gives them a little extra depth.

I like depth.  In pancakes, and humans.

Ironically, I have never made normal, plain pancakes and have very little desire to do so.  If it doesn't have some added fruit benefits or the protein from Greek yogurt or peanut butter then I might as well eat a cupcake for breakfast, as far as I am concerned.  WHICH I would rather have a cupcake over a plain pancake any day.

Pancakes make really good snacking food throughout the day, in my opinion.

Happy crafting!



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment