Friday, January 25, 2013

Bacon Pineapple Stuffed Crust Pizza

Dough:
-2 Cups All Purpose Flour
-1 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
-1.5 tsp salt
-1.5 Cups lukewarn water
-3 Second Squirt of honey
-1/4 tsp yeast

Toppings:
-String Cheese for the Stuffed Crust
-Sauce (duh)
-Mozzarella AND Colby Jack
-About 3-5 strips of bacon, cooked to where it's just crispy
-Pineapple chunks
-garlic
-butter
-garlic cheese topper (yes both)
-Cornmeal

OK.  So maybe you know the drill by now on my dough maybe you don't.  But this is going to make enough to make two pizzas or pizza and cinnamon rolls, as is what I always seem to do.  So mix all the pizza dough ingredients together and let it sit covered overnight to raise.  Pop in the fridge the next morning and let it sit there at least a day or so.  It develops pretty excellent flavor.  I made mine Wednesday morning, it raised while I did homework (yuck), and it was refrigerated from Wednesday night to tonight at 11PM when I got back from a concert and was ready to cook it up.

Drop the bacon into a skillet and get it cooking. Turn half or a little over half of the dough out onto a floured surface.  Flour the top and knead and stretch the dough until you get the size you want and the thinness you want.  I prefer thin crust.  So all the baking times will be for that.

Plop the bacon on a paper towel to get off some of the grease.  Sprinkle cornmeal onto the pizza pan (I prefer the ones with holes) and transfer the dough over.  Put the string cheese around the edges and roll the dough over it.  Layer on your toppings in sauce, half the bacon and pineapple you want to use, mozz cheese to cover the entire top, a light sprinkling of colby jack, and more bacon and pineapple.  I tore my pineapple chunks up to make smaller pieces, you could start with crushed and save yourself this effort. 

And for my secret why this is awesome trick, sprinkle a hint of regular garlic over the toppings.  I am talking like you are lightly salting something.

Put some butter and garlic cheese topper around the edges of the pizza.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 18-20 minutes until it is the doneness that you are gunning for.

This pizza is pretty fantastic, if I do say myself.  I used probably half a small can of pineapple when I did it. I actually use spaghetti sauce and I lightly sauce mine because I think sauce is one of the single most overused ingredients in pizza.  I prefer people to be able to taste my toppings.  Mozzarella is never going to overpower something, hence the only light sprinkle of colby to add another level of flavor onto it.  Sauce with all of it's heavy spices CAN easily overpower something, so I go easy on it.

Anyway, it has the boyfriend's seal of approval.  So I suggest you give it a whirl.

And all my future dough will be a mix of white and wheat.  We are really onto something this time. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment