Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Special Spuds: Twice Baked Potatoes

Will someone please make some potato "muffin" thing and call it a spud muffin?? Anyone??? I AM BEGGING YOU!

Hashbrown something or other, in a muffin pan?  Mini tater tot casserole in a muffin pan?  Some sort of potatoes in a muffin pan??? PLEASE. 

This post has nothing to do with any of that.  I just happen to have a thing for plays on words and similar.  And muffins.  I really do love muffins.

REGARDLESS.  I made potatoes that had great intentions behind them but the execution was somewhat flawed. Luckily, when you fail on the most basic principles you can tell others how to correct it and go about your merry way.  We learn from mistakes. 

Sometimes I swear I just find the bag of potatoes that will never get fully cooked correctly. My microwave consistently burns potatoes while the insides are still raw, and it is a never ending parade of frustration whenever I want a delicious baked potato.

I baked 3 gold flesh potatoes at 425 for right under 50 minutes on a foil lined baking sheet.  I would like to go ahead and suggest that you lower the temperature and vastly extend the baking time.  I rubbed mine with olive oil and sprinkled with seasoned salt and pepper.  I would go 400 degrees for probably an hour and fifteen, flipping every 20 minutes or so and checking them, after trying them like I did.  Pull them out when they finally get squishy.  And make sure they are either A) nearly exactly the same size or B) you check each individual one and pull them out as needed.  I think I checked my smaller one, which skewed my perception of them being done.  And why I used 3 potatoes when I am but one person I am not sure.

The important part of this matter, however is the filling. For 3 potatoes, I used 1/2 pack of imitation crab, 4 TB sour cream, 2 tsp of dill, salt and pepper, and colby jack cheese (both on and in the mix).  I also sprinkled the tops with bacon bits.  It would have been delicious, if my stupid potatoes had been fully done in the first place.  How annoying. 

I mixed all the filling stuff together after sauteeing the crab with a tiny bit of onion, all in butter of course.  I filled the potatoes, topped them with cheese and bacon, and plopped them back in a 350 degree oven for 20 more minutes.

Here are some other filling ideas that I really think you should consider:

-Steamed broccoli, cream cheese or sour cream (or greek yogurt), and colby jack or sharp cheddar cheese.  I think it would be EXTRA DELICIOUS if you crushed up ritz crackers to put on top of the potato and drizzled a little butter over it, essentially making broccoli cheese casserole in a potato.

-Pesto (about 1 tsp per potato used, at least to start) and roasted tomatoes, again with greek yogurt or sour cream added in for creaminess.  I would really like mushrooms in this scenario as well.  Also adding in shredded up spinach leaves would be delicious.

-Shredded chicken, chopped asparagus, and mozzarella.  I am not 100% sure where this idea has come from, but the more I think about it the more I like it.

-Chopped up steak (hello leftover utilization!), sauteed green peppers and onions chopped, and mozzarella.  Can you say, philly cheese potato? Or Fajita potato, depending on your seasonings? I definitely can...

-Ground beef seasoned with salt and pepper, bacon, and cheese.  Burger and a side of fries all in one crispy starch boat? I can dig it.

That is really all of my crazy shenanigan ideas for the moment on these potatoes.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment