Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Homemade Graham Crackers

That's right.  Homemade GRAHAM CRACKERS!

Ingredients:
-1/2 C Milk (I used half milk, half almond milk...because I had it)
-1/4 C honey
-2 Tsp Vanilla** (original recipe I was basing mine off of called for 1 TB...but I was a little gun shy on putting that much in.  You do what you feel like).
-2 Cups AP Flour
-1/2 C Wheat Flour
-1 C brown sugar packed
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/2 C salted butter

You have two choices.  You can mix the wet ingredients first and then mix all the rest in like I did in the same bowl.  Or you can dirty up two bowls, do the milk honey vanilla in one and the dry + butter in the second one, and then combine.  Clearly mixing them all in at the same time worked out ok for me.

You have a second round of choices.  You can deal with the dough straight from the mixing bowl like I did, acknowledging that it is going to be super sticky and kind of frustrating.  Or you can chill it for an hour.  Either way you have to turn your dough out onto a floured surface.  Either way you want to work with about 1/3 of the dough at a time. My way just involved it being slightly irksome and slurping up flour left and right and nearly sticking to my kitchen island.  BUT it did save me a whole hour.

Preheat your oven to 350, place the grahams on baking sheets (I put mine on parchment paper) and poke some holes in them with a fork.  For the record, I completely cannot stand Reynolds Wrap's weird parchment paper with the foil backing on it, but it happens to be the only thing I have on hand.  And when it comes to one less thing to wash at 1 AM in the morning when I am playing catch up...that will be a godsend.

Since some of mine were pretty thick and I made mine rather large, I baked mine for about 9 minutes, maybe 10.  If yours are more thin and regular, you will be looking at a time of 6-8 minutes.  The original recipe definitely rolled theirs more thin than mine, as they got 64 out of it and I got 28.  But I like the softer, almost shortbread texture.  So I really don't mind a bit.  When mine came out of the over I sprinkled them immediately with a cinnamon sugar mix. 

What I do mind, however, is that I have no ICE CREAM to go with these. What a buzzkill. 

Interesting things of note:  you could not cut these, and press them into a pan and make a giant pseudo cookie cake out of them.  That could be fun.  Perhaps a base to a dessert pizza.  Who knows.

I personally like the flavor of these, even though my vanilla was substantially less than that of the original recipe.  These are not overly sweet or potent, which sits well with me.  They are dessert without being dessert.  And they would taste great with nutella.

I am sure this will be a future experiment of mine of completely changing the flavor and profile of these into all sorts of crazy shenanigans.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment