Friday, January 4, 2013

My Sister's Peanut Butter Cake: Fun Decorating

I think that decorations are a complete waste if they are not delicious and edible.  Don't get me wrong, I understand the value of gum paste flowers for things such as wedding cakes.  But if you aren't having to do a wedding cake, then delicious decorations are the ONLY way to go.

My oldest sister made this cake for her husband's birthday.  He LOVES Reese's Cups, as you can probably tell by this cake.  So my sister made a chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. 

Reese's Cups are between the layers, around the bottom like icing, and on the top as decorations. Chocolate was drizzled around the sides. 

I don't have any recipes to offer, as this was not something I made, but I do think that this goes along with my recent theory of adding PIZZAZZ to things! 

First, I am a big fan of adding things like coconut to the sides of cakes.  It makes for very tasty decorations, and it means you don't have to get perfectly smooth sides.  The same goes for finely chopped nuts, chocolate shavings, toffee chips, cookie pieces, whatever else you can think of!

Maybe it is a chocolate cake, with vanilla icing, and oreos crushed and covering the sides and between the layers.

Maybe it is a red velvet cake with extra red velvet crumbled and covering the sides.

Maybe it is a lemon cake with white chocolate shavings on the sides and raspberry jam on top.

Or maybe it is a caramel cake, with coconut on the sides and caramel/chocolate drizzled on top.  Oh, man...that sounds delicious now that I think about it....

My point is, fun decorations and tasty decorations can be every bit as jaw dropping as tight fancy decorations. In fact, in some cases they might just go over BETTER!  So have fun with birthdays and family events, and save the gum paste for those uptight occasions ;).

Happy crafting. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment