Friday, July 26, 2013

Eggplant Won-Tacos

Ingredients:
-1 eggplant section (thin sliced and a couple inches long) per wontaco
-wonton wrappers
-1/4C Panko mixed with 2 TB Almond Flour (for my four batch, increase accordingly if making more and feel free to add other flour if needed), pinch of salt and pepper, and 2 shakes of ginger
-1 egg beaten with 2 TB Chobani Plain Greek 2% (forms a thick coating, works nicely)
-Broccoli slaw
-cherry tomatoes
-sauce: I mixed greek yogurt and soy sauce, but think that soy, teriyaki, and/or sweet and sour would all be perfectly acceptable on their own

Heat your oven to 350.  Flip a muffin tin upside down, rub the wonton wrappers with just a little bit of oil, and put them between cups so that they form a taco shell form.  I put my two small muffin pans on my cookie sheet for easy grabbing.  Bake for ten minutes or until desired brown-ness.

With the egg mix in one bowl and the flour mix in another, dip the eggplant sections in first the egg and then the panko mix.  You can do a double dip if you like, I did not find that necessary with it being a panko coating.  Heat a skillet of shallow olive oil on medium and drop the eggplant pieces in when it is ready.

Fry for 5 or so minutes on each side or until they are nicely golden brown.  Mine may not look very golden brown but I had not eaten anything other than some donut holes for about nine hours so I was in no mood to wait.

Remove and drain any excess oil off on a towel.  Assemble the eggplant won-tacos and garnish with desired sauce, broccoli slaw, and slices of cherry tomato.

I have been wanting to make these for quite some time but wanted to wait until I was at my apartment to do so because I was not sure who else in my family would like them.  I had never had anything like them before, so I did not have a lot to go by.  After tasting these, my mom would definitely like them and would agree that sweet & sour sauce could be a fun flavor to put on these instead.

I need to learn to make my own sweet & sour sauce, because it is something I would not use very often at all.  But I digress.

Anyway these were really good but I was so hungry that I was sad I only made four.  They are fairly small, and if you think about it would be more like an appetizer at a restaurant than a meal.  So I would suggest making them with something, like rice for instance and maybe stir fry.  Or having dessert ready to go ;).

These will definitely be joining the ranks of my Meatless Monday Meals.  MM is only ever as boring as you make it, and there are a lot of great options for meatless dinners that are just as tasty and fun as their meaty counterparts.  Whether it is for environmental reasons, health reasons, or you just want to sneak some extra veggies under your children's radar, a good meatless dish can go a long way.  If you need to stretch an eggplant further, cube it and just put about 3-4 cubes on each taco, as then it will be easier to use some of the smaller parts of the eggplant and the edges. 

Happy crafting!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment