Sunday, May 12, 2013

Homemade Wheat Wraps

Ingredients:
-1.5 C whole wheat flour
-2.5 TB butter; softened
-1 tsp baking soda
-3/4 C lukewarm water
-Pinch of salt

Mix all the ingredients in your kitchenaid with the dough hook attachment until it forms a ball.  You will want to add the water slowly and add just enough to get it to form the ball. 

Sprinkle a little flour on a surface and divide the dough into 6 equal balls.  They will be about 2 inches in diameter or so.  Cover the dough balls with a dish towel and let rest for ten minutes.

Get a skillet cranking on a high heat (I started mine at about 7.5 and ended up bringing it back down halfway through to 6.5).  One ball at a time, roll the dough out on a floured surface extremely thin.  Take the rolled out shell to the skillet and cook it about 10-20 seconds on each side until it starts to blister.

Here is my main reason I like to make wraps and stuff homemade...

I don't understand why wraps are round.

When I make stuff like my Italian wrappetizers where I fill them with yummy things and then cut them into slices, I have to toss the end pieces from where it is not even.  If a wrap was more rectangular, I could utilize the whole thing and not have any waste.

So since I can now make my own, I make them the shape I want.  I think it will also be beneficial in the land of regular wraps because stuff can go closer to the ends.

Let's be realistic, how many of you tear off the end of a taco because you don't like all the excess shell? 

Anyway, back to the wraps.  You want to repeat that process with the remaining five dough balls.  Store them in a Ziploc bag in the fridge for up to one week.  If they are not very pliable at some point, just warm them up for a few seconds in the microwave.

If you know for sure you want Italian things, feel free to toss in some herbs or seasonings like basil, rosemary, etc and get another level of flavor.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment