Thursday, May 2, 2013

Lemon Cream: Rich and Dreamy Filling with a Chobani Twist!

I wish I had a picture of this as a filling in something, but I made the filling before I made the thing to be filled.  However, I would happily eat this with a spoon...so I count that as a win even if I don't have anything to put it in just yet.

Anyways, Ingredients:
-1.5 C vitamin D milk
-3 egg yolks
-1/4 C sugar
-3 TB flour
-1 tsp lemon extract
-1 TB butter
-1 6oz container Lemon Chobani
-Optional 3 TB powdered sugar

Heat the milk in a pan and bring it to a boil.  While you are getting that going, whisk the yolks/granulated sugar/flour in a separate bowl.  Start adding in a little milk, a TB or so at a time and whisk it in.

From my many years experience in watching Worst Cooks in America, we shall call this, tempering the eggs.

:) Watch TV enough and you might as well be a pro, right?

Anyways, once you have added a little milk, whisked, added a little more, whisked more, I did this about four times until the bowl (it was a little plastic container) started to feel warm in my hand. 

Lower the heat on the milk to low and add the eggs, whisking like mad.  Keep on whisking and cooking on low about four minutes, until it starts to thicken.  Remove from the heat and add in the butter and extract.  Whisk that in until it is combined.  Finally, add the Greek yogurt and whisk again.  Give it a taste and add in the powdered sugar if you want it a little sweeter.  I added it, and then added just a bit more extract, so it probably counteracted itself a bit.  Tasty regardless!

Pop it in the fridge and let it cool and thicken.  As you can see in the picture, mine ended up with a fantastic consistency once it cooled down.

If Bavarian cream and lemon curd had a food baby, it would be this.  It is great because it is thick and rich and creamy and all the things that you would expect something maybe made with heavy cream, but it is way lighter and has protein.

Seriously...delicious and has protein? I am ok with both of those.

In essence, you could do this with pretty much anything. Orange, raspberry, banana....

Oh my goodness...

Banana.

That is next on my list.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment