Wednesday, December 26, 2012

German Roasted Pecans

Ingredients:
-1 16oz bag of pecans
-2 egg whites
-1/3 c white sugar
-1/3 c packed light brown sugar
-1/2 tsp vanilla
-Dash of salt
-1/2 tsp cinnamon* (this is the recipe I used, but after tasting it I would kick it up to 1 tsp)
-Optional: sprinkle ginger over the nuts when they are on the pan

Preheat oven to 300.

Beat the egg whites until frothy (high speed for a few minutes until they are white and, well, frothy) adding the vanilla near the end and beating in as well.  Mix the sugars, salt, and cinnamon together in a bowl.  Mix the nuts in with the egg when finished beating and stir to coat.  Add in the sugar mix and stir to coat again.

Place on a greased baking sheet (used a jelly roll pan for this) and spread out.  You can sprinkle them with ginger or nutmeg if you want.  Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring once throughout the process (about halfway through).

I let mine cool on a foil so that they would not stick to the bottom of the pan.  After tasting them, I decided that when I make these again I will most certainly be upping the cinnamon.  Everyone's tastes are different so I never have a problem with starting out small on stronger spices and working up to the right amount.

I have been on a mission to discover the perfect recipe for German Roasted Nuts like those that I find at the mall and at Nashville, Indiana, which is one of my very favorite little places to walk around and shop.  And eat.  These are a little closer to what those taste like, and they are very delicious without a doubt.

They are a good step in the right direction, and that is what matters most to me.  The bad part will be me eating them all within a few days...haha.

Prepare to be addicted! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment