Friday, August 3, 2012

Spoon Pendant, Day 3

Well today was anything but ordinary, and involved a lot of distress, but somehow I still got a craft done.  I had seen a very similar thing on Pinterest, so I had to give it a shot.  So here was my shot at a spoon pendant.

First, I had to bend the spoon.  Some people cut the end off, I personally did not have a hack saw or any handy tool whatsoever, so I opted to try to bend it.

Just for the record, it is difficult to bend stainless steel. 

So anyway with the use of the pliers and a hammer, I finally got this thing wrangled around such as it is. 

Next, I cut a piece of scrapbook paper to fit in the spoon.  I mod podged under and over it, just to give it a nice coating. 

I let it dry, touched up a little trim, and moved on to attaching the odds and ends to make it interesting.




Using my ever-favorite E6000 glue, I attached some watch pieces and some hardware pieces.  I was going for a sophisticated steam-punk. 

If there is such a thing.

So I didn't really let the glue dry before I put the resin in, and I don't know if that mattered or not.  Seems to not have mattered.  And that's all that matters.

Now on to other matters.

Like I said, I am terrible at mixing up small amounts of resin.  However, I discovered that using a plastic spoon you can get relatively even amounts (which is critical) and you can do much smaller portions than say...randomly pouring it in.


Now, you need to be prepared to have a space this thing can sit without tipping over.  I opted to use a beer cap, because I have a lot of those in my craft Mecca.

A whole lot actually, when you consider the fact that I don't drink.

It's so nice to have friends.

Anyway, the resin will need to dry for up to 24 hours.  If the top of it is still a bit tacky feeling, paint a clear coat of nail polish over it and it should take care of it.

Oh, and I had all of this stuff already! I see more of these in my future.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment