Wednesday, November 13, 2013

"Sandwich" Thin Variation: No flour or dairy

Ingredients (per 4-6 rounds)
-1 and 1/4 C Almond Flour
-1/2 C Pumpkin Puree (or applesauce, or yogurt, or whatever of a similar texture you want to sub)
-2 jumbo eggs
-2 TB melted butter
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-1 TB Honey
-healthy dash of salt and other seasonings as desired (more on that later) I used a little pinch of garlic.
-desired toppings: I suggest "Everything Topping"

Mix all this stuff up in your mixer except whatever you are topping these with.  Pumpkin is really subtle until you add things like sugar and cinnamon and those sorts of spices so don't get too hung up on thinking that this is going to taste like a pie. 

Spread these out on parchment or a silpat on a cookie sheet, using 2-3 tablespoons of batter.  Mine did not really raise or spread out much, so be aware that what you are doing is what you are getting when it comes to size and such.  If you opt for something like yogurt, yours may spread a little because it could make the batter thinner, which should not be an issue. I spread mine out to about 3 inches in diameter and probably only 1/4 inch thick.

Bake them for 15-20 minutes at 350F until they are as firm as you want them.  I did about 18 and they were set but longer might get you something sort of crispy which could be awesome!  So experiment.  I have a gas oven and baked on silpat.  So different ovens and methods will change a bit. I will probably try it at 20-22 minutes next time to see how that goes.

Now, back to my note about other seasonings.  These are a little sage and whatever other herbs go into it from being the most amazing gluten free sub for dressing that I could possibly imagine.  Not to mention, that would be a great flavor profile for sandwiches regardless.

My thoughts on them are make them about 3 inches in diameter and use two like a bun.  Or you could make bigger ones and cut them in half. 

Or you can eat them like savory cookies which may or may not be what I was doing.

Check back tomorrow for my AWESOME riff on everything topping!

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment