Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Chipotle Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients:
-1 small chipotle pepper (I use the ones from a can packed in adobo sauce)
-1.25 C fresh cranberries
-2 TB honey (or for a different spin, use maple syrup!)
-1/4 C packed brown sugar
-1/2 C chicken stock
-1 to 2 roma tomatoes, diced (I only used 1, but you could add more to your preference)
-1 TB butter
-2 shakes of ginger
-dash of nutmeg
-hefty pinch of salt
-1 tsp garlic
-1 to 2 tsp minced onion
-Optional bit of orange zest, orange marmalade, or other orange-ness on hand, I used 1 TB of orange marmalade but would have enjoyed some orange zest in this.

In a food processor, pulse the chipotle with the cranberries, honey, and tomato until it is all broken up pretty fine.  Add to a small saucepan with the remaining ingredients.  Cook on medium heat or just a touch over for about 7 minutes, then reduce to a simmer and let cook another 5 or so minutes.

Return the sauce to the processor and blend until smooth.  Alternatively, if you want to  use this as a spicy relish this holiday season, you may choose to skip this last processing.

I cannot stress enough that you need to TASTE this sauce while it is cooking because my love of chipotle heat may not be the same as yours.  You can tone it down with things like ketchup or more sugar or more tomatoes, or you can kick it up with additional adobo sauce or other peppers. 

My plans for this sauce are to use it as a wing sauce for a special event I like to call, Shenanigiving.  My plan is to put my crazy, scheming ways to the test and to make a very fun meal for my apartment.  I also want to really reflect on the last year, and may even get sentimental enough to post some of my things I am thankful for. Who knows. By my calculations, I am about 107 days in on my second 365 Day Craft Challenge...which seems really crazy to me because I feel like this second one just kicked off.  I should be thankful I have survived this long ;).

Be on the lookout for shenanigiving, and spice up your holidays!

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment