Thursday, November 7, 2013

Chicken Kale Chili, Crockpot Style

Ingredients:
-2 or 3 chicken breasts, frozen (more as desired)
-1 can tomato puree plus the can filled up with water and added
-4 big kale leaves, shredded
-1/3 packet of Durkee's Texas Red Chili seasoning or your favorite (if you use a less spicy one you may be able to use the whole pack.  This particular brand is delicious but spicy, it's a judgment call based on your preferences.)
-6 small tomatoes, diced (more as desired)
-4 TB butter (everything needs butter)
-1/3 C ketchup
-Salt

The usual rules apply, you can toss all this in your crockpot and let it cook on low for about 8 hours.  Pull the chicken out and shred it then add it back in.

This actually started as a tomato soup that I tried to add kale too and I went a little crazy and added random stuff like lemon juice and some herbs, which you will note are not mentioned in the ingredients above.  That is because, thankfully, the chili seasoning really did a great job at masking them. 

So, that is another good rule.  If at first you don't succeed, get the chili seasoning out. 

I ate this with my cranberry corn muffins from yesterday and that was a really tasty combo.  It hit all my favorite combos, sweet/savory/spicy/hearty.  I also felt good about all this because it was a sneaky way to use up some kale.  Kale is super cheap, so I have been working on finding ways that I like it since it is inexpensive AND healthy.  What a combo.

I love crockpot soups.  I actually like my crockpot more for soups than any other thing.  It is good for ribs, no doubt, but coming home to a nice comforting ocean of soup is pretty darn great in the winter.

Washing the crockpot...not so great.  I always spray mine with cooking spray for easy cleanup. 

You can also make this on the stove, which I would do by boiling it about 30 minutes or so until the chicken is done and then letting it simmer a while longer.  I am also a big advocate of making chili of any variety the day before, as it is best when it has had some time to sit.  Personal preference, of course.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment