Monday, April 29, 2013

Flour Tortillas

 Ingredients:
-1.5 C AP Flour
-1 tsp baking powder
-dash of salt
-1/2 to 3/4 C warm water
-2.5 TB butter, softened

Mix all the ingredients in your kitchenaid with the dough hook until it starts to form a ball.  Add the water slowly, if you end up adding a little too much just add a little bit of flour back in.  It should start to make a ball but still be a little tacky.

Pull off hunks and make balls about 2 inches or a little less in diameter.  I put mine on my silpat, if you don't have one dust a surface with flour and set them on it.

Let them rest under a kitchen towel for ten minutes.

While they are taking a sit, heat a skillet to a medium high heat or a little over.  When the dough is ready, work one by one and roll them out to about 8 or so inches on a floured surface (basically getting them really close to see through) toss it in the skillet, and cook about 20 seconds on each side until it starts to brown.  Move on to the next dough ball and repeat.

I sprayed my skillet with pam a couple times, which is completely not needed because they don't stick, but I wanted to see if it would make them crispy or darker or anything.  It did make some a little more golden, but not enough to really necessitate it.  I like to put paper towel or foil between mine just because I am sometimes a little paranoid they will stick together. Use foil if you want to keep them warm in the oven.

I like to store mine in a Ziploc bag in my fridge.  They should last a week or so in the fridge, a few days out on the counter in a bag, and a good long while in the freezer.  Rewarm them between paper towels, just like you would a tortilla from the store.

I haven't tried them yet with other flour yet, but you better believe that is soon to follow.

The last time I made these I was at my undergrad apartment in Haute, and I had to use a water bottle to roll them out.  Needless to say, now that I have progressed in both degrees and kitchen utensils, this attempt was much simpler.

Now, you may ask, why make your own tortillas.  I personally have multiple reasons I like to make them now and then, but the main reason is just the fresh texture.  They tend to be a little softer and less gummy than store bought.  Don't get me wrong, I buy the store bought ones quite a bit.  But if it comes down to me driving across town or spending a little time making my own with ingredients I consistently have on hand, it doesn't take a lot for making them myself to win out.

Sometimes, you just like to avoid the grocery.

This recipe made 8 for me, and my sizing was completely inconsistent.  So I feel pretty safe saying 8 would be about normal.  I ended up with closer to 3/4 C water and having to add back in some flour.  They are forgiving.  And pretty darn inexpensive.

Just don't do like I did and forget the salt.   GRR!  I even sat it right next to my bowl.  They still taste alright, it was just knowing that I had left it out that was frustrating.

I prefer to make tortillas with butter, you can use EVOO or lard even.  I just happen to be butter biased.

If you leave them in the skillet too long they will get crispy, which I happen to not see as an issue.  Just be aware. 

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment