Saturday, January 18, 2014

Homemade Herbed Ricotta

You will need:
-4 C whole milk
-1/4 C vinegar
-1/2 TB basil
-1 tsp crushed rosemary
-pinch of salt

Put the milk, salt, and herbs in a large pot and heat on medium high until frothy and foamy looking, which should take around 10-15 minutes.  You will want to stir it while it heats up.  If you have a food thermometer, a lot of recipes suggest heating to a temperature of about 120 degrees.  I have seen it done both ways, and used a thermometer for this one, and both seem to work just fine so go with your preference.

Remove it from the heat and add in the vinegar and give it a gentle stir, cover with a lid, and let it sit for 5 minutes or so.

Put cheesecloth in a colander over a larger bowl.  Drain the mixture through the cheesecloth and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.  Squeeze any excess liquid out as needed.

Transfer to a bowl and use in your favorite recipes!

I think I will be using this to make a pizza that will have hearty mushrooms, tomatoes, and maybe even bacon on it.  I have not been the easiest person to get along with lately, so I am considering taking an "I'm sorry you have to deal with me" pizza with me when I go home!

Calories are the ultimate apology.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment