Saturday, January 11, 2014

Cheesy Mushroom Calzone on a Pizza Stone

You will need:
-1/2 batch of your favorite pizza dough recipe
-1/2 C mushrooms, sauteed (I used sliced Porteenie mushrooms)
-1/2 C mozzarella, cubed
-2 TB ricotta
-1/2 pack cherry tomatoes, pureed with 1 TB garlic cheese topper, 1/4 tsp rosemary, 2 tsp basil
-1/4 C shredded spinach or lettuce blend
-1 TB freshly shredded parmesan
-Olive oil

Preheat your oven to 450F, with a pizza stone on the bottom rack.

Stretch your pizza dough out until it is fairly thin, but still sturdy.  I would suggest that as you top your calzone, you keep everything over to one side...as you can tell by my not so pretty tear, I thought of that a little too late.

Brush the crust with olive oil, then start layering on your toppings.  I actually like a fresh tomato blend better than actual pizza sauce, but feel free to use sauce if you prefer.  Assemble the calzone on a cookie sheet or pizza peel dusted with cornmeal.

When finished, fold the dough over and crimp with a fork to seal.  I would highly suggest brushing the top with more olive oil.  I happened to FORGET to do this.  I was so sad. But next time I will absolutely brush mine with a little oil.

Transfer to the pizza stone and bake for about 12 to 15 minutes. I positioned my calzone at the edge of the baking sheet I was using as a peel, pulled my oven rack forward, and gave the sheet a little shake to slide the calzone off.

To get it back out of the oven, I pulled the oven rack forward again, grabbed the edge of the calzone with tongs, and slid it back onto a metal pizza pan.  I typically let my pizza stone cool back down with my oven to make sure it does not cool too quickly.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment