Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Healthy Baked Zucchini Bacon "Ranch" Cakes

You will need:
-3 small zucchini, grated
-2 to 3 strips of bacon, fried and chopped (shooting for about an ounce of it)
-1 egg (at least a large, I use jumbo but it was actually probably more than I needed, especially if you are going to slack on drying them well)
-1 TB parsley
-1/2 tsp dill
-Ample salt and pepper

That's right.  That is all there is to it.  So I used my Cuisinart and the grater blade to shred the zucchini in seconds.  I love my food processor.  Add a sprinkle of salt to the shreds and let them stand while you cook the bacon.  Cook the bacon to crispy, then drain on a paper towel.

You will need to press the water out of the zucchini shreds.  The more you get out the more they should be able to crisp up.  I pressed mine between two paper towels, which honestly I think I am just going to use some flour sack dish towels next time because I hate using a lot of paper products, and I have about a million towels.

Anyway drain them well, then mix with the remaining ingredients.  Form them into patties, mine made 4 and I pressed excess liquid out while forming them.  Bake at 350F for 20 minutes on a greased baking sheet or parchment paper.

Mine STUCK to my sheet because I have two identical pans, and one is terrible.  It is actually starting to lose its finish too (dark nonstick) so I need to just toss it.  My other has done really well, I am actually not sure why I have had such issues with this one.

I really wanted to add about a half a cup of onion to this recipe.  It really could have used the richness that onion brings.  I also considered frying these in the leftover bacon grease to really infuse that flavor further and also to crisp them more.  You could flip them halfway through baking also to brown each side a little better.

Other options would be to fry them in your skillet in butter if you are not a fan of cooking things in bacon grease.

I think these would be really good with a sauce, and there are a ton of different spice profiles you could use and make these spicy or give them a Greek flair even.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment