Saturday, January 4, 2014

Wheat Berries: Apple Craisin Salad

You will need:
-1/4 C cooked wheat berries
-Up to 1 whole apple, chopped
-Spinach/Spring Mix blend lettuce (I used about a packed half cup or so)
-1 TB Feta cheese (I like Athenos reduced fat)
-1 TB Craisins
-1/4 C Walnuts, chopped
-Lemon infused olive oil (I cheat, mine is from Trader Joe's), just a light sparing drizzle over it
-Fresh cracked pepper
-Other toppings as desired

So, to cook wheat berries, at least the ones I got from Whole Foods, you soak them overnight in 3.5 times as much water as however much berries you are cooking.  I soaked 1/2 C of berries in 1 3/4 C water, for example.  Then you boil them in that soaking water the next day for about an hour, adding more water as needed.

I only used a portion of what I cooked for this super tasty salad.  I tossed in all the ingredients mentioned above, plus some sunflowers I roasted, and drizzled just a bit of lemon olive oil on it. I hit it with some fresh cracked pepper, and dug in.

As it turns out, I really like salad when it has a lot going on.  I am not a big fan of the standard lettuce-cheese-crouton-ranch "salad" and actually with the exception of Ruby Tuesday I don't even use croutons much anymore.  If you have a lot of bold flavors and a variety of textures, you likely won't miss the croutons, or at least I never do.

But all bets are off when you go to Ruby T.  Those croutons are amazing.

I had planned on adding more salads to my weekly meals, and so far I have eaten some version of a salad both days I have been back, which is pretty unusual for me.  It is a welcomed surprise as a matter of fact.  I am very hopeful that I can continue this trend, because honestly I would like to take salads for lunch sometimes at work.

I paired this tasty salad with a small pork tenderloin and the remaining sections of apple that I did not chop for the salad.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment