Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Meatballs in a Fresh Tomato Sauce

Ingredients:
-14 meatballs of desired brand, I use Trader Joe's
-7 or 8 Roma tomatoes
-Hefty pinch of salt
-1 TB butter
-1/4 small onion, finely minced
-1 tsp garlic
-2 tsp basil
-1/2 tsp rosemary
-Optional bit of oregano if you like it, I happen to not be a fan
-Noodles and cheese as desired

In a medium saucepan, I chop up and add all the tomatoes with the butter, herbs, and onion.  Typically I heat this on medium and give it a five to eight minute head start before I add my meatballs.  This way, there are already juices flowing and bubbling by the time they are added in.

I leave my very chunky and cook with the meatballs for about 20 to 30 minutes after the meatballs are added.  You could reduce the heat and simmer this if you wanted it to thicken up, but I actually like the light sauce with chunky tomato bits, personally.

Top it over noodles and then add some freshly grated parmesan cheese.

What I really like about this (especially since I have been in college) is it takes me a long time to get through a jar of spaghetti sauce.  I constantly had the issue of it going old well before I could use it up.  This gives me a lot of similar flavors with stuff that I always have on hand, like tomatoes and herbs.  Plus, I like the taste of the fresh tomatoes without being overly herbed in the process.  It really strikes a nice balance for me personally.

You could also use this sauce for chicken in a pasta dish or as a chunky fresh pizza sauce.  I have not made pizza in so long, but tasting this sauce today really made me want to make one again.

Happy crafting!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment