Sunday, December 22, 2013

Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Muffins (from Maseca)

Ingredients (per dozen):
-1 C Maseca (corn flour)
-1 C AP Flour
-1 TB baking powder
-2 eggs
-1/2 C frozen corn
-1/2 C Sour Cream
-1/2 C milk, more as needed
-4 TB butter, softened
-1 small jalapeno, thinly sliced with seeds removed as much as possible (won't need all of it)
-4 oz extra sharp white or regular cheddar cheese, shredded
-Pinch of salt
-Pinch of sugar

Real simple, just toss everything in a mixer and let it go until combined.  I don't bother to do dry then wet then combine.  I just skip right on to combining, and add just enough extra milk to make it like a thick cake batter.  I used my mandoline to thinly slice my jalapeno which I daresay was extremely convenient.  My mom shredded my cheese for me, which was also quite convenient.

Top each of these with a thin jalapeno ring and a little sprinkle of cheese.

Anyway, grease a muffin tin (no need to use liners), and fill with two heaping TB or so of batter.  This is absolutely not a runny batter, so you can fill it up more than you might a cupcake without having to worry about it running over.

Bake at 350 for 20 to 22 minutes.

And then gobble them up!

I am a big fan of corn muffins, and the next time I am going to make this particular batch I am going to add bacon.  Bacon jalapeno would be pretty fantastic.  I have seen a few recipes that combine jalapeno and cranberry, so you could do something like that if you are a brave soul.

I love making these muffins from maseca because I know exactly what is in them and can control the sugar.  I like sweet corn muffins of course, but sometimes I just want something more savory! And these come out with a texture more moist, a kin of a cupcake for sure, which I like better than really dry varieties.  Pair a good corn muffin up with a good chili, and you get one happy camper out of me!

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment