Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Fantastic Crockpot Tomato Dill Soup

Ingredients:
-1 28oz can of diced tomatoes (I used Meijer Naturals)
-3 tomatoes, chopped into 1/8ths or so
-4.5 C chicken broth
-1 TB dill
-2 TB finely chopped onion
-Salt and Pepper to taste

I tossed it all in my crockpot and let it go on low for 8 hours. 

I had boiled some chicken earlier in the week with about 4 TB of butter (for around 5 or 6 chicken tenderloins) and used the leftover broth from that to make this soup.

When I got home from stats I mashed around with my potato masher (I don't have a blender or similar) and then served it with some finely shredded mozzarella and toast.  You could start with tomato juice instead of diced tomatoes if you prefer something a little less chunky.  I love a hearty chunky soup.

The TB of dill looks like a lot when you toss it in but do not be alarmed.  The onion measurement may sound odd, but I really just grab a few slices of the onion I have frozen in my freezer and break it in to little pieces.  I would imagine it comes out to a couple of tablespoons.  You can add more or less to your personal preference, I happen to be a big believer in a little onion goes a long way.  This soup is without a doubt the best soup that I have made in a really long time, if not ever.  I mean my chicken tortilla soup is pretty darn good...but this absolutely hit the spot today.  It is packed with flavor.

AND my crockpot did all the work.

AND I have ample leftovers for the next few days.  Tasty!

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment