Sunday, March 3, 2013

Biscuits and Bacon Gravy

 Biscuits:
-2 C AP Flour
-1 TB baking powder
-1 C milk
-Salt
-6 TB butter OR Crisco (I used crisco, keep in mind that the pack says to add more liquid if you are using it instead of butter, so adjust milk as needed)

Gravy:
-At least 3 strips of bacon
-2 TB flour to start
-2 C milk to start
-salt and pepper to taste

Mix all the biscuit ingredients and drop blobs on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 400 for 18 minutes or until golden.

Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet until it is starting to get crispy.  Pull the bacon out and sit it on a paper towel to get some of the excess grease off.

Now, as it turns out gravy is not an exact science for me, though I will tell you exactly how I got to where I did.  I consider it a venture of luck.  My skillet was a little on the large side for a small amount of bacon (I used my largest skillet with the taller sides) so really think about that in advance.  I had it on medium heat.

So I pulled the bacon out and tossed in the flour and began whisking away.  I personally think my I probably could have used another TB of grease in there and should have considered adding in oil but it all worked so I don't mind a bit.  I gave it a minute or so, whisking around, and then put in the milk and began whisking again after putting in some salt and pepper.  I ended up adding another TB of flour and just a tiny bit more milk and then stirred as it started to pull together.  Once it was the texture I liked, I used my kitchen scissors to cut the bacon into small pieces.

Had I needed it thicker I would have put in more flour or a little corn starch.  Had I wanted it thinner, I would have added more milk or oil.  Really, you just have to be brave and go for it and adjust to your taste. Mine was maybe just a slight bit on the thin side compared to some I have had, but I am perfectly fine with that.

Mine ended up making enough for two helpings, one of which I ate as pictured above and the other I plopped in my freezer so that I will have some handy sometime when I don't want to whip any more up.

The biscuit recipe made 9 large biscuits.

Overall, bacon gravy is really tasty.  I ended up having to salt it later at the table, which is fine, I did not expect to get a texture I liked AND the right salt level on my first crack at gravy.  Baby steps, that is my theory.  I am most glad I did drop biscuits, because if I had to clean flour off my kitchen island one more time I was going to lose it.

Just don't forget to add extra liquid if you are using crisco.

I would have used butter if I had any at room temperature, but I was not about to play the melting game with my bipolar microwave. 

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment