Friday, March 15, 2013

Baked Jalapeno Popper-changas

Ingredients (enough to fill 3-4 shells):
-1/2 pack of reduced fat cream cheese
-1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
-1/2 can crushed pineapple (small can)
-1/4 block mozzarella
-1/4 C sour cream
-Pinch of salt
-8 inch taco shells

I would not call these spicy.  I would call them delicious, however.  If you want them to be super spicy, consider upping the amount of jalapeno you use.  These were very tasty and had some heat.  Mostly though, they were just delicious.  I love jalapeno poppers, I love chimichangas, and such the popperchanga was born.

I soaked my pepper pieces in warm salted water for ten minutes or so while I got everything else ready (after getting the seeds and such out of the inside and chopping them to bits), goal being to pull out some of the intense oil in them.

Normally, I hate crunchy veggies in things.  For some reason I was ok with them being crunchy in this.  However, if you want to not have small crunchy jalapeno bits, simply sautee them beforehand, I vote for doing so in a little bit of butter.  Personal preference.

Mix up all your ingredients into a bowl until well combined.  Put some filling in the taco shells.  Fold the top and bottom down and then roll it over from the side with the filling to make a nice little chimichanga. 

Place on a baking sheet and brush a little cooking oil over the tops of them.  Bake at 375 for at least 15 minutes, or until desired golden brown-ness is achieved.  I pulled mine out when they were just crispy because I had not really allowed much time before I had to go to class.  They were still pretty good and crisp.  I sometimes like to use the explosion alert system: when the filling starts to burst out, they are done. 

You might want to let them stand a few minutes before digging in.  They will be piping hot coming out of the oven.

For added yumminess, cut up some pieces of ham and toss it in.  THAT would be incredibly yummy as well. Sadly, none was in my fridge. 

I made two, of course, and then could only eat one of them.  I stored the other in the fridge, warmed it up today, and it actually warmed up a little better than I thought it would in the microwave.  Not as delicious as the previous day's because it was not as crispy, but certainly a valid two minute lunch. 

The rest of my concoction will be going in my remaining wonton wrappers this weekend and I might just break out some oil and do some frying. 

Other considerations for this filling includes using it as a spread or garnish on a sandwhich or wrap. Or just plopping it on some crackers.

Happy crafting!


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment