Saturday, March 2, 2013

Carrot Raisin Bites

 Ingredients:
-1 large carrot finely shredded
-1/2 C Flour (mine was 2/3 AP: 1/3 Whole Wheat mix that I had leftover)
-Handful of raisins (mine are golden)
-3 oz greek yogurt (I used the rest of my Chobani banana container, but plain, pineapple, honey, etc would all work too.  I believe in using what you have!)
-1 TB brown sugar
-3 TB honey
-2 tsp cinnamon
-dash of ginger and nutmeg

You can more heavily spice these if you like.  I wanted them to taste more carrot-y than anything.  I got my inspiration from this essentially from Chick Fil A's carrot raisin salad, which I love.  I was going to make up a mock version, but I have been such in the granola type mood that I opted instead to make a bar out of it.  I was also going to a concert last night, and wanted to stock my car with things to munch on the way home to avoid fast food.

Anyway, I shredded my carrot by hand with one of those little shredders that you might use for zesting.  And yes, that takes a good long while.  But it is WORTH it.  A finely shredded carrot is pretty excellent in this kitchen.

Mix all the ingredients up, spice it up as desired.  Spread the batter out on parchment paper on a baking sheet and cook at 350 for about 25-30 minutes, or until the edges start to brown.  Let cool for a few minutes and then cut into squares.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

I put a white chocolate drizzle over mine, and I would just like to STRONGLY recommend that you do the same.  Positively delicious.  Not to mention, when a bar is predominantly carrot, I don't mind adding in a guilty pleasure.  I melted 1 rectangular section of Candiquick in a bowl in the microwave and jazzed these puppies right up.

And I would like to happily announce I have used the last of the foil backed parchment paper!  Sadly though, this means I have to spend money and get more.  There's always a kicker in there somewhere.

These taste delicious, which you might think I have to say since it is my blog and my creation, but in all honesty I would admit it if they needed some work.  I really like them cold (they sat in my car while I was at a concert so it acted like being in my fridge).  They have a really light and fresh taste, which I completely adore.  I don't like things that taste like preservatives.

I have really had a goal for quite some time with learning new techniques and recipes.  I have wanted to know what I could make if I just had basics on hand plus a garden, for instance.  There are a lot of times I just don't feel like going to the store, and more than that some things like granola bars can get pretty pricey for small bars or ones that just don't taste as good.

If you pack a ton of flavor into something, you eat less of it because you feel satisfied more.  We mindless eat because there is not enough flavor in some of the food out there to really keep our brains interested, so munching can last that much longer.  I could eat a million chips, and not remember it three hours later.  I ate about 6 of these little bites after the concert and I have thought about eating the rest ever since (haha!). 

SO that is my completely biased plug for making FLAVOR a part of your life.  And make these little bites they are fantastic.

And go see Chris Tomlin on the Burning Lights Tour.  Also COMPLETELY fantastic.

Until next time, happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment