Monday, February 4, 2013

Wrappetizers (my BEST for parties!)



 

Base Ingredients:
-1/2 container of Buitoni Pesto
-1/2 block cream cheese
-2 6 oz containers of plain greek yogurt
-8 large taco shells

Filling Ingredients:
-8 oz Mozzarella, shredded
-Some combination of the following: honey baked ham, diced tomatoes, spinach leaves, chopped

Filling ingredients I would strongly consider:
-BACON!
-Craisins
-Pistachios if you want a crunch here and there, chop them up pretty good
-Roasted Red peppers

I have very picky members in my family, so I made these three different ways for Super Bowl so that they would appeal to meat-aholics, tomato-enemies, and a vegetarian.  As for me, I like all three ways, so I often benefit from my families different perspectives.

Anyway, mix the pesto, cream cheese, and greek yogurt together.  Spread this base filling over a taco shell, getting pretty close to the edges.  This will reduce the waste if you don't have to cut off and discard the ends.  If you are hungry, the ends make great pre-party snacking!

Sprinkle a thin layer of mozzarella over the filling, I lightly sprinkle mine so that the filling will stick to the other ingredients and help the taco stay rolled.  Add strips of ham, some diced tomato, and some chopped spinach for the rolls shown in the picture.  Roll the taco shell tightly and cut into sections that are about 3/4 of an inch or so.  I leave them with the rolled edge down and stack them, but you can put them cut side up on a platter if you prefer to display the yummy looking insides.  Skewer them with toothpicks if necessary.

For my sister I made them with ham, spinach, and cheese.  For her vegetarian husband I made them with spinach, tomato, and cheese.  I think roasted red peppers would really lend themselves well to a vegetarian one, or any in general.  The great thing about pesto used in moderation is that it has many of the italian seasonings also used in meats and hearty italian dishes, so it tastes incredibly savory and a little can be stretched a long way.

Each taco gets approximately 6-8 cuts depending on how far out to the edges you go.  You do want to plan for one taco shell feeding MAYBE 2-3 people at a max.  These things are delicious, they store very well, and they are also incredibly viable lunch options for on the go lifestyles.  But if you are making them for a party, I strongly suggest making extras.  They are completely addictive.

I used one pack of tortilla shells (8 ten inch shells) and did manage to still have some leftover after a party of 7 (2 males 5 females, and with considerable amounts of other food).  Hopefully that will give you some idea of how many you will need to make for a party.

Words cannot describe how delicious these are, in my slightly biased opinion.  I have made them for Super Bowl two years straight, and do believe that they will be a consistent offering at all future SB parties.  My entire family liked them and kept leftovers.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment