Saturday, February 23, 2013

Mickey Cupcakes

My best friend loves anything Disney.  She also loves Reese's.  I had convinced her to let me make her a birthday goodie, which was originally going to be a birthday cake.  Well, by the time I left my cake keeper lid at home instead of bringing it to my apartment for probably the fourth time, I decided that a cake was starting to get tricky.  Then I realized I had no offset spatula to use with icing, and I quickly decided that cupcakes were more reasonable and transportable.

 Regardless, as some of you may know from previous posts, I am a BIG fan of edible and TASTY decorations.  Sure, I love a good gum paste lily for a wedding cake, because they are beautiful and look delicate.  But let's face it, they taste awful.  When I was brainstorming ideas for my best friend's cake, I had thought about how large Reese's and small Reese's should essentially make a Mickey.

Now, it very well might have been more reasonable to use miniature Reese's partnered with Reese's Minis.  And I had every intention to do that...until I got to the checkout lanes an went through a U-Scan, completely forgetting that I needed to find a small bag of minis up there...

Oh well, I don't think they taste as good anyway.  I originally tried cutting the big cups in half to make them go twice as far...but that just made the cupcake look like a creepy, frowny, alien from DOOM or something.

The moral of the story here is use large, whole Reese's cups and two miniature cups to make a Mickey. I did not waste the ones I had cut in half, and instead put them in the cupcake with sprinkles around them.  I found these sprinkles at a local cake shop, so I am not really 100% sure where to tell you to look around you.  If you have a local cake shop, they might just have them.  If not, I am sure you can find these online if you really need them. 

These cupcakes are iced in a peanut butter icing, a chocolate icing, and two are both icings mixed.  For the peanut butter icing I used 1/4C crisco (butter is fine too, crisco will hold up a little better in a bipolar apartment like mine), 1/2 C peanut butter, and 3/4 lb of powdered sugar, plus a bit of water.  You may choose to start at just half a pound of sugar, because I will be the first to admit I make notoriously stiff icings.  This is what I get for whining so much when we are doing a wedding cake and the icing is really stiff and hard to pipe. HOWEVER, I do like how well and quick a stiff icing sets.  I whip all my ingredients in my kitchenaid, adding water a little at a time, until it comes together in a fluffy icing.  The two icings I used combined were just about enough to do the 24 cupcakes, with a little peanut butter icing leftover.

If you make a stiff icing, you basically need to ice a cupcake, decorate it right then.  Don't give it time to set because you want it to hold your decorations on. 

For the chocolate I used half a can of chocolate icing, and half a box (so 1/2lb) of powdered sugar.  I really hate most canned icing on the market because I can tell it is starting to get made with cheaper and more fake flavors.  I used to be able to eat cream cheese icing from a can, but it pretty much tastes weird now and I find it disturbing.  Most of them taste a lot more oily to me as well.  However, I do realize that with the logistics of a small apartment, canned icing can save me some time and mess. I am actually ok with the chocolate icing still, the milk chocolate icing does have a pretty good flavor, but by whipping it up with powdered sugar it makes it more like an icing and less like flavored crisco.

I made the mixed cupcakes after I had iced the rest.  I was almost out of chocolate icing, so I plopped a big scoop of peanut butter icing into the bag I was using.  As I piped it created a somewhat swirly looking icing, and it really does taste just like a Reese's cup.  You could go to all the work to put icing in two bags and thread them through a third, but I consider this a huge waste of bags.  Stiff icings should stay relatively in place, so if you spoon some in with a spatula, raking it against one side of the bag, you should have an easy enough time doing the same with the other icing on the other side of the bag.



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment