Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Savory Everything Muffins

Ingredients:
-1 TB sesame seeds
-1 TB poppy seeds
-1 TB minced onion
-1/2 TB granulated garlic
-hefty pinch of salt
-1.5 C flour (I used a 50/50 split, but would recommend decreasing the wheat flour by 1/4 C if you are going to do that too.  These were slightly dry, but I wanted to test it out)
-1 TB locally sourced honey
-1/3 C vegetable oil
-1/3 C milk (feel free to add a little more if batter looks too dry)
-1 jumbo egg (consider using a couple eggs if you typically buy large or medium)
-2 tsp baking powder

All of the ingredients should be mixed together and should form a very firm batter.  This batter will be drier than probably some of the other muffins you make as it is a denser muffin, but use your best judgement on adding extra liquid or reducing flour.  With the 50/50 split I used, I really wish I had taken out some of the wheat flour because my batter was a little drier than I would have preferred.  However, the muffins are still quite tasty and I love an excuse to slap some butter on a muffin, so I am really not complaining too much here.

Anyway this should make 6 regular sized muffins.  I baked mine at 350F for 20 minutes, and lowered the heat in the last 5 minutes to make sure the tops did not brown too much.  Also, if you want to mix the herbs and seeds together first and reserve some for topping the muffin, that is another option that may make them look a little more fancy if you are using these for a brunch or similar.

I am a big fan of tossing things into the kitchenaid and calling it a day.  So that is pretty much the system I used here.

I also think that a couple tablespoons of sour cream would moisten the batter a little and add a really good complimentary taste.

This may not be the last of these muffins, but I do think this is a good starting out point for anyone looking for a savory option in a typically sugar-dominated muffin assortment.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment