Sunday, February 9, 2014

Dinner: Steak, Asparagus, Carrot "Cakes"

You will need per person:
-Steak, I used an 8oz ribeye, which I planned 4 oz for this meal and the rest for fajitas, adjust to your preferred cut
-12 asparagus spears
-3 large carrots, finely shredded
-1/4 of a small white onion, finely minced
-2 TB almond flour
-1 jumbo egg
-1/4 tsp adobo sauce
-Salt and pepper
-Worcestershire sauce
-Seasoned salt

First, mix the carrots, onion, egg, almond flour, and adobo sauce together and add in some salt and pepper.  You can add other spices if you like. Drop into 2 piles on a parchment paper lined sheet and form into patties.  Bake at 350F for 22 minutes.  I actually think you could easily double the carrots and other ingredients while only using 1 egg if you also use jumbo eggs like I do, but it works this way as well.

When you drop your steak and veggies will depend on how done you like them both.  I wanted my steak to be able to cook to well done. I put a little bit of grease in the bottom of a skillet.  Add your steak and hit it with a teaspoon or so of Worcestershire, and season with salt and pepper.

I like to give the steak about 3 or 4 minutes on the first side, then flip and give it another minute or two before adding in the asparagus.  I am a real big fan of multitasking in one skillet.

If your steak is done before your carrot cakes, simply add a little water to the skillet, turn the heat to low, and cover with a lid until the cakes are done.  This will steam your veggies and keep everything nice and juicy.

I am looking to eat a whole lot of veggies and very little bread this week as I was terrible last week in the diet department.  This was a very tasty kickoff meal.  I loved the carrot cakes, and this would be easy to do with zucchini as well.  My next ones I do believe will be a zucchini and pepper combination cake.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment