Friday, February 7, 2014

Good Morning: Fried Eggs and Bacon Over Roasted Vegetables

For the Veggies:
-2 tomatoes, pureed
-1 red and 1 green bell pepper, sliced
-1/2 each of a white onion and red onion, sliced
-3 zucchini, sliced
-Pinch of garlic
-Hefty dose of pepper
-Salt
-Herbs de provence or italian seasoning as preferred

Other:
-2 eggs per serving
-2 or 3 strips of bacon, fried crispy per serving

So I actually made this veggie dish first for dinner.  I was attempting to make a ratatouille like in the Disney movie that was all pretty and fancy.  And I sort of did, but I tried to cram all these veggies in a 9 inch round glass baking dish and that really just did not work.  So allow me to suggest a 9x13 or so glass baking dish.

Anyway, spread the pureed tomatoes over the bottom of the greased dish.  You can also just use pasta sauce, use enough to put a thin layer on the bottom.  If using tomatoes, I like to toss just a light sprinkle of garlic and herbs de provence on them with salt and pepper.  I will also include this seasoning profile over the veggies.

Layer the veggies in the dish, overlapping them (even if not as perfectly as Disney and that cute little mouse would have...). Hit them with the seasonings, and a very light drizzle of olive oil or other grease.

Cover with parchment paper and bake for about 50 to 60 minutes at 350F.  If using tomatoes, you may want to scoop it out with a slotted spoon as your tomatoes may make it juicier than tomato sauce.

Fry the bacon up to crispy and then I suggest frying the eggs in the bacon grease.  I mean really.  It is less wasteful...and super delicious.  You want them over easy so that yummy egg yolk will run all over the veggies and make your morning super awesome. I put 2/3 of my bacon crumbled UNDER the eggs, and then topped it with the rest of it.  It made it look pretty.  I really don't have any better reasons than that.

This whole idea reminds me of some really good eggs benedict dishes that I have had.  I actually started the veggie part of this as part of a zone meal idea that I was working on.  I have a couple friends who eat according to the zone diet, and so every now and then I look at ways I could make some tasty dishes zone-friendly.  I haven't tested them out on my zone friends yet, but I really do think they would find them delicious.

After all...I find them delicious, and I am the ultimate bread-lover in the morning.  So for me to be completely satisfied with a morning that did not involve buttered toast...that is really saying something.  I am actually considering making this more often and doing the egg thing because it would just be some extra nutrients to start my day.  Also, I feel like I stayed fuller longer with this.  So it was pretty nice.

The veggie part of this should probably feed 3-4 if you are eating it as a side, and 2 if it is part of a zone meal or the main component of a meal.

Definitely mix up your veggies if you like adding in summer squash, eggplant, or other peppers as desired.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment