Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Poblano Peppers Stuffed with Salsa Chicken

Ingredients:
-Chicken breasts (I used 2 for 7 peppers)
-Salsa or equivalent ingredients
-7 poblano peppers (that is what would fit in my glass dish!)
-toppings such as guacamole, sour cream, or whatever else you prefer

To make salsa chicken, I put the 2 chicken breasts in my crockpot with about 1 C of water and 1.5 C of salsa or so, optionally a pat of butter or other fat.  Or, at least that is what I typically do.

I did not have salsa this time. Instead, I chopped 3 tomatoes, 1 small onion, 1 green bell pepper, and added 2 tsp fresh cilantro paste, salt and pepper, and a pinch of taco seasoning.  I had recently dried some serrano peppers, so I crushed up 1/4th of one of them as well to include.  I still added the water and let this cook overnight in my crockpot for 8 hours on low.

For the peppers, you will need to roast them first.  Preheat your oven to 400F and place the peppers on a metal baking sheet, preferably one with a rim.  Roast for 15 minutes, flipping the peppers halfway through to promote even roasting.

Pull them out of the oven and let them cool for a few minutes unless you just have a really good oven mitt that makes it easy to handle them.  Cut a slit down the center of the pepper and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds.  You do not need to cut the stems off as they are quite cute.

Once all of the seeds are removed, stuff with chicken and top with more salsa.  I lowered my oven temperature since I transferred these to a glass baking dish and baked them at 350F for 12-15 more minutes or until all of the filling is nice and hot.  You could easily add cheese to this mixture if you were so bold.

I am on a bit of an anti-dairy kick at the moment, I really just have not been in a cheese mood lately.  And I wanted these to be paleo in honor of some friends of mine.

Top each with guacamole and enjoy! With a simple addition of eggs, these would be very simple to convert to a fun, tex-mex brex (or breakfast, if you prefer to not follow my trendy word usage there).

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment