Monday, June 17, 2013

Peach Mango Fruit Salsa

Ingredients:
-1 quart of strawberries
-4 very soft very ripe peaches
-2 very ripe mangoes
-1/4 C honey
-juice of half a lemon and half a lime
-zest of one lemon and one lime
-1/2 tsp cilantro

All you need to do is peel and chop all the fruit and toss it in a bowl with the remaining ingredients.  Make it the night before you need it so that it has time to sit and really infuse all the flavors.

Mint would also be a reasonable spice to use. 

My favorite thing to put fruit salsa on is Food Should Taste Good tortilla chips/crackers.  The sweet potato flavor is fantastic with fruit salsa and also tastes AMAZING with hummus.

At Whole Foods, I found the lime flavor of the FSTG crackers and they are phenomenal.

Whatever you do, I beg you deeply, do NOT I repeat do NOT buy Lime Flavored Wheat Thins.  They really do not taste like lime at all, which makes sense because Onion Powder and Garlic Powder are listed well before lime juice.

Basically, they taste like funyuns.  You know what I really hate? Funyuns.

Opt for the tasty chips from Food Should Taste Good, their lime is spot on.  I also like to make my own wheat scoops chips and add a little cinnamon sugar.  Graham crackers are another option.

I take this for lunch a lot because it is sweet and tasty so I feel like I am being terrible and indulging, but in fact I am getting a lot of vitamins and healthy mumbojumbo.  This and my pineapple version with kiwi, pineapple, and mango have been fun summer treats.

Also to consider is using this as a topping on fruit pizzas, ice cream or sherbet, waffles, and even grilled fish.  I love the pineapple version on swordfish.

Happy crafting!

UPDATE: Have some leftover and want another creative use for it? Check out this post about turning it in to a delicious fresh fruit crisp! http://greenzebra9.blogspot.com/2013/06/fresh-fruit-crisp-leftover-fruit-salsa.html Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment