Sunday, March 16, 2014

Breakfast Stuffed Pepper

Ingredients (per person):
-1 cubanelle or poblano pepper (I typically buy ones 3-4 inches long)
-1.5 C kale or kale and spinach blend (measured before cooking)
-1/2 C onion
-2-3 strips of bacon
-Pinch of garlic or seasoning blend as desired
-Salt and pepper
-1 egg (I use jumbo, you may want to use 2 if you use smaller ones)

First, preheat your oven to 400F and roast your pepper of choice for 15-20 minutes, turning multiple times throughout.

Meanwhile, fry up your bacon and remove to drain on a paper towel or similar.  I suggest frying it just shy of where you like it, because it will cook a little more in the oven.  I like to sautee my kale and onion in the bacon grease that is left in the skillet, but you can use EVOO if you prefer.  Season your veggies with desired herbs, salt, and pepper.  Go easy on the pepper, especially if using mostly kale.

When the pepper is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.  Reduce your oven heat to 350F.  Split the pepper down the front and remove the seeds.

When your veggies are done (onions starting to turn clear) add in your egg and cook until just set, as it will cook the rest of the way in the pepper.  Stuff your pepper with your filling and top with crumbles of bacon.

Return the pepper to the oven and bake at 350F for another 20 minutes or so, until your egg is completely done.

Cubanelles are more of a sweet pepper, they are definitely not spicy, and I find that I like poblanos better for basically everything.  But I don't dislike the cubanelle, and it is a good pepper to start your day with if you don't like to have any levels of spice that early in the morning.  You could also add cheese to this, but I am using that very sparingly these days.

This would also be tasty to do with sausage, but I never have it on hand.  And I love bacon.  I mean I really love it.  Probably as much as I love desserts.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment