Monday, March 3, 2014

Healthy Breakfast On The Go: Egg Muffins

For these I used:
-3 eggs
-1 C milk
-2 ounces of cooked and chopped bacon
-2 red peppers, chopped
-1/2 of a smaller yellow onion, chopped (baseball size)
-1/4 C black beans, cooked as directed
-1/2 C salsa
-1 tsp adobo sauce from chipotle peppers (would definitely increase)
-Salt and pepper

Fry up your bacon and remove from the skillet to drain on paper towels.  Add in your chopped peppers and onions and get them to cooking.

You will want your oven preheated to 350F and a muffin pan greased.

Sautee the veggies until the onions start to turn clear and then remove from heat.  Add in your cooked black beans and salsa and stir to combine.

In a separate bowl, whip your eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper and the milk, plus adobo or hot sauce if desired.

Divide the veggie mix evenly between 12 muffin tins.  Pour in the egg batter evenly, it should be about 2 TB of batter per cup.  Top with a little hit of pepper or extra salt if desired.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tops are darker yellow and the eggs are set.  I am really paranoid about runny eggs so I like to err on the side of extra done.

Run a knife around the edge of the muffins, you may need to get under them with a fork to get them out.

I really wish I had zucchini.  Zucchini is my complete favorite vegetable right now and I absolutely cannot get enough of it.  I would love a shredded zucchini-filled muffin cup.

But these are very tasty on their own and I am really happy I ventured out of my norm and got black beans.  They are really yummy!  However, one correction I would make would be adding fresh cilantro to this.  Mine was dead when I returned to my apartment, so I had to just do without as I somehow still don't have a dried version on hand.  You however will plan much better and will add cilantro into these.

I am working on making a couple different healthy muffin versions that I like because I have been hitting up the Golden Arches way too much lately.  I have been on a crazy schedule with a lot of stress and I have eaten out just way too much.  But under no circumstance should it be a consistent start to anyone's day, so I am working on kicking the habit before it gets too ingrained.  Plus, I am a breakfast lover and I hate the thought that I would continue sacrificing good flavor combinations for a relatively one-note breakfast burrito...

The least I can do is making amazing breakfast burritos....

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment