Sunday, March 9, 2014

Bacon-Wrapped Chicken stuffed with Kale and Onions, on Cauliflower Rice

You will need:
-1.5 cups of Kale (measured before cooking)
-3/4 C onion, chopped
-pinch of garlic and parsley to taste
-EVOO
-1 chicken tenderloin
-2 strips of bacon
-1.25 C cauliflower

Sautee the kale and half of the onions in a little EVOO, adding in garlic, salt, and parsley as desired.  Cook the rest of the onions with the cauliflower in boiling water until tender. You should be able to wait to drop the cauliflower in until you start the chicken, as it does not take too long to cook (I was using frozen).

When the kale has shrunk down and the onions are starting to turn a bit clear, make a slit in the side of your chicken tenderloin.  You want it to be a deep slit most of the way through the chicken.

Stuff the kale/onion mix in it.  Wrap strips of bacon around the chicken and secure with toothpicks.  The great thing is, the bacon really helps keep the filling in place.  I had a little extra filling, so I just tossed it in with my cauliflower once I had broken it up.

Return the wrapped chicken to the skillet where you sauteed your veggies and cook until crispy on all sides.  you will have to get creative sometimes on how you turn it, I ended up holding mine with a big set of tongs to make sure the sides crisped up. Remove the toothpicks before serving.

There are probably more graceful ways to do this via baking...but you know how I am.  Graceful is really not a good word to describe me.

I mashed my cauliflower a bit with my potato masher and it made it look like yummy fluffy rice.  Therefore, I will not be investing in a ricer.  Even BETTER!

I would just like to say that this was awesome! I was really proud of myself, it looked a lot fancier than some of the stuff I usually make.  I will definitely be serving up cauliflower more often, it was really fun to eat with this and would be a good rice substitute for stir fry and similar.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment