Monday, March 17, 2014

Simple, Healthy Red Pepper Sauce

You will need (makes 2 cups):
-6 red bell peppers, rough chopped for food processor
-1 C onion, chopped
-2 tsp garlic
-Heat (so you like cayenne, maybe chipotle, maybe ancho, use your favorite spice or hot sauce to bring it to the level you prefer)
-Fresh cracked pepper and salt to taste
-4 to 5 tsp Worcestershire sauce
-1/2 TB minced onion
-Optional pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg
-EVOO

Put a little olive oil in the bottom of a pan and add the chopped onions. Cook on medium while you puree the peppers.

Add the pepper puree and the spices and remaining ingredients to the onions and cook at medium for about 15 minutes before reducing to a simmer.  I let mine go about an hour total.  It is perfectly fine to still have some liquid left, as it needs to be a sauce, but you want it to be pretty thick.

I allowed mine to cool before I put it back in my food processor to blend in the onions.  It ended up the consistency of a marinara you might get with mozzarella sticks...

In fact, I could really use some mozz sticks right now.  I really should have had the foresight to get all of the ingredients to make that happen!

But alas, I will eat my yummy veggie sauce on healthy things.  I am thinking of using it either on zucchini boats or in place of tomato sauce in a veggie lasagna.

Nothing against tomato sauce.  This is just more interesting!

You very likely could add tomato sauce type herbs like basil and oregano and come up with a pretty good spin on it, if for some reason you were looking to switch off tomato things or perhaps just wanted to try something new.

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment