Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pumpkin Ice Cream (aka PICE CREAM) Sandwiches

Yesterday I posted a super delicious recipe for homemade pumpkin ice cream.  As with most homemade ice cream, it taste far superior today than it did yesterday.  I always think things really need a day to let the flavors mingle.  Regardless, I was talking to my mom earlier about how it was so delicious it deserved me going and getting cones, when she had a most remarkable suggestion.

Why not just make pumpkin cookies and make ice cream sandwiches?

My best friend and I had talked about this the day before, but now it seemed so much more reasonable.  And by reasonable, I mean necessary. 

Now, I did this using Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix, because that is what I had on hand.  I am very much in a mood where I hate to see things go to waste, so much like my pancake mix I opted to go ahead and use this.  If you want to do this with cookies from scratch, I suggest this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/iced-pumpkin-cookies/   Minus the cloves.  Personal opinion, I really don't like cloves.


If you happen to have BC Sugar Cookie Mix, here is what I used to make them:
-1 pouch of the mix + 1 TB flour
-1 egg
-1/2 plus another spoonful of canned pumpkin (shoot for a heaping half cup and it should equal out)
-1/3 c softened butter
-1 TB cinnamon
-5 shakes of ginger (yes, I am back to shakes)
-2 shakes of nutmeg

Alter the spices to your tastebuds, as always. 

Mix all of these ingredients together.  BC would tell you to put them on an ungreased cookie sheet, I will continually profess that this is bogus and you need to grease that sucker. 

Preheat your oven to 375.  Grease your cookie sheet and drop them by spoonfuls onto the sheet, leaving an inch or two between as they will poof a bit.  Bake for approximately 10 minutes.  You just want to edges to ever so slightly darken up.  My first round I baked closer to 350 and it took about 17 minutes to get them done, which is pretty much what the allrecipes pumpkin cookies call for.  Either way works. 

After you make them let them cool completely and let your ice cream set out a bit so that you can easily scoop it.  Have sections of plastic wrap cut off and ready to go.  Put the ice cream on the bottom cookie, top it, wrap it, and plop it in the freezer.  I like to keep mine in a larger bag. 

Their freezer life is substantially longer than the time they will actually last, as these are delicious and will be consumed immediately.

For me, this recipe made approximately 14 ice cream samiches!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment