Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Crockpot Pork Cooked in Apple Cider

 Ingredients:
-1 pork tenderloin, a section of it, or other favorite pork roast cut
-1 sweet potato
-1 to 2 large carrots
-2 ears of corn
-1.5 C Apple Cider (the best is from Trader Joe's)
-2 TB* Balsamic Vinegar
-2/3 C water
-salt and pepper
-1/2 TB rosemary
-Pinch of garlic

These are the numbers I would use, but I actually would suggest upping the liquids to enough to cover the pork, it just makes it a lot juicier (typically how I cook my pulled pork is enough water to just cover it).  Also, I think you could easily up the balsamic to about 1/4 C or so and really change the broth, but I liked the bright apple-y flavor that still shined through.

Regardless, all you have to do is pop all of this in your crockpot with the carrots and sweet potatoes cubed/chopped into large sections and the ears of corn wrapped in foil. 

I do think that this pork is good just like so, but it does not get as juicy as my usual pulled pork crockpot version does, so I am a little biased.  If you made a sauce to go with this, however, out of the broth maybe with a little more balsamic or brown sugar or something and reduced it down, then it would be a whole different ball game. I personally will probably submerge mine in liquid next time.

I cooked this on low for 8 hours.

Now, the undisputed most amazing part of this was the SWEET POTATOES!  They tasted fantastic.  It was a lot like eating some sort of candied sweet potato, and the natural flavor of them mixed so well with the bright apple yumminess that I was basically in Sweet Potato Heaven, or SPH for short.

The corn was really good too.  I hardly put any butter on it and it still tasted crazy good and sinful like I had drown it in butter.  I did not wrap mine very tightly so I am sure some of my juices mingled in and I don't mind one bit.

If you served this up with cornbread, you would probably win the favorite cook of the day award with whomever you are dining with.  I give myself that award all the time ;).

Even if you just throw this pork roast in with water and a few seasonings, add a little butter, and then cook the corn with it, it would result in a tasty meal when you walked in the door.

If you are cooking it without having it submerged but can turn it in the crockpot a couple times during cooking (I could not as I am at school the vast majority of two days a week) it would still result in a much juicier end product.

Happy crafting!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment