Friday, October 11, 2013

Bacon Pesto Pizza Pasta and a Spinach Pecan Pesto Recipe

That's right, two for the price of one today!

Pesto Ingredients:
-1 C of tightly packed spring mix baby lettuce
-1 handful pecans
-Just under 1/2 C parmesan, cubed (1/2 inch cubes)
-Squirt of lemon juice
-2 TB basil (I did not have any fresh, so I actually did use dried)
-1/2 TB Herbes de Provence (optional, but I like the blend)
-1/4 tsp garlic
-2 tsp rosemary
-salt and pepper

I pulsed the cheese and pecans first into a dust, then added the rest of the ingredients in and pulsed, drizzling extra virgin olive oil in until it was the consistency I wanted.  I would say it was maybe 4-5 tablespoons or so.  You may want yours thinner or thicker.  Scrape the sides down occasionally.  Let sit for 30 minutes or so to allow the flavors to blend.

IF you are used to basil-based pesto you have to remember that this is going to taste a lot different.  I quite frankly really enjoyed it, and believe I will be making it whenever I have leftover spinach leaves...which is basically always.  I have tossed out a whole lot of them these last few months, unfortunately.

For the Pasta:
Dough (for 8 ravioli, increase as needed):
-1 C flour
-1 very large egg
-salt
-1/2+ TB EVOO

Filling:
-2 to 3 strips of bacon (crispy but not dust)
-1/2 C mozzarella cheese, diced
-1/2 TB basil
-Salt, if needed

You want to put the flour and salt in your kitchenaid bowl, add the egg, and add oil just until the dough comes together.  Everyone seems to measure flour differently (and with varying shades of accuracy) and you may use smaller eggs (I use jumbo) so don't be alarmed if you need to work in a little more oil.

If you work too much in, you can add more flour.  Just go with the flow.

So once you get the dough mixed together you will turn it out on a floured surface and knead it for about 3 minutes or so.  It should be smooth and not real sticky.  Oil the surface and cover in plastic wrap, letting it rest for 20-30 minutes.

While it is resting you can cook your bacon, draining it on a paper towel when it is done.  Crumble it into small pieces and toss it with the cheese and pesto.

When your dough is rested (we don't want sleep deprived dough!) roll it out very thin (about 1/8th of an inch). I cut mine with a square cookie cutter, making sure I came out with an even number of pieces.

I actually like square cutters better because you can maximize the cuts you get out of a dough without having to reroll it.  That is my kind of awesome.

Put a dollop of the filling in the center of a ravioli piece, wet the edges with water, and press a top piece down on it, making sure there are not air pockets around the filling.  Seal the edges with a fork pressed into the dough. 

Get a pot of salted water boiling and cook the ravioli in batches of 2-3 (or maybe use a really big pot and do them all at once, I keep meaning to do that) for 4-6 minutes.  I actually like mine a little more on the tender side so I like to roll at 6.  Dough like this is naturally more firm so I like to get it as soft as I can without being ridiculous.

I also will put just a tiny little smear of butter on my dinner plate or wherever I am putting the ravioli once they come out of the water just to make sure they don't do any sticking. EVOO or putting them on a sauce bed would be fine as well. 

Top the ravioli with streaks of marinara and pesto, plus some of the remaining filling that you used in them, or some fresh shredded parmesan. 

One of my all time favorite pizzas I ever made was a bacon pesto pizza that was stuffed crust.  I have not been in the pizza making mood for some reason (probably because I have been too obsessed over trying new recipes) but I wanted that same depth of flavor.  Sticking it into a pasta was definitely a fun way to reminisce on a good recipe while creating a new one.

And sure, this may not be a typical way to stuff pasta and I can honestly say I do not care one bit.  If I was made to follow traditional rules and structure, I would probably not be having as much fun in the kitchen!

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment