Friday, May 18, 2012

Entitled

I find myself increasingly more agitated with many of my peers, and sometimes the population in general.  One of the things that really bothers me that seems to be running rampant these days is a sense of entitlement.  As if we deserve to get everything handed to us on a silver platter or something of that nature.

Well it drives me bananas.

Now I am not saying that we shouldn't ever think we deserve good things, good jobs, good spouses, we all do deserve the core components of life.  I think everyone deserves regular meals and shelter each day.  I think we all deserve to be treated with respect.  But the type of entitlement I am talking about that drives me bananas is the one where people start thinking they deserve it all.  And for free.

My last blog I talked about my trip to DC with my fellow full ride scholars.  Note #1, college: paid for.  So the same group that handed us all the scholarships always takes their juniors on a trip each year, and allows seniors who missed their junior trip to attend.  They paid for the flight, the hotel, bus fare, all the shows we attended and museums and such.  They also paid for almost all of our meals, only a few were on our own. 

So needless to say I was really appreciative to be on this trip.  It is nothing that I ever could have afforded.  However, some of the scholars were actually a bit annoyed at the fact that they had to pay for a few meals.

Really?  A hundred bucks over the course of a week in food, with the thousands of dollars from the rest of the trip paid for, and you are complaining?

This is the kind of thing that just irks me.  So many people have a lot of things handed to them all their life and they start feeling like they deserve it.  I was not a kid that was overly spoiled, we had everything we needed, though maybe not every single thing we ever wanted (still waiting on that husky puppy).  But I had the vast majority of the toys a kid could dream of and always had good clothes as a teen (although my docs lasting 8 years has really helped).  So needless to say this trip was something I really considered a gift. 

I think this happens a lot in the workforce to.  Some people get in a job position, are there for a good long time, and just start seeming like they are entitled to it.  I work at a bank in the summer, and I notice this a lot about my fellow workers.  People who slack off, have relatively negative attitudes, and just don't seem to care.

Well, maybe you should go ask someone who is unemployed and barely getting by if they would appreciate your job.  Or (since many of us are females here) maybe go ask some females in a different country who are not allowed to work and have to basically be baby factories if they would appreciate your job and income.

I really wish all people had to go through a time when they really had to pay attention to money.  Even though I was young, I think throughout my childhood I understood that we needed to not go overboard on things we bought.  I don't think I was the kind of kid that always begged, or at least I hope I wasn't. 

So what I am saying is people need to take a look around.  Look at your neighbors who are barely meeting their payments, look at the people around you who are unemployed, and look to other countries and realize how incredibly lucky you are.  Because not everyone has these opportunities.

Corinthians has a verse in it that says something to the effect of "whatever you do, do it heartily."  Put everything you have into your job, your passions, and whatever you do.  People will notice. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment