Sunday, July 13, 2014

Chipotle Fajita Filling

Ingredients:
-1/2 tablespoon espresso bean balsamic vinegar (I like Fustini's)
-1.5 tsp EVOO
-1 tsp puréed chipotle peppers
-4 ounces of cab steak strips or other steak variety 
-2 green bell peppers, sliced
-1/2 medium sized onion, sliced (about a cup is the goal)

I start by sautéing my veggies on medium high heat with one half of the sauce, made by combining the first three ingredients and mixing.  Do this until they are starting to get tender. 

At that point, scoot the veggies around the pan so the center is clear for your meat.  Add it in, season with a little salt and pepper, and use half of the leftover sauce per side as you are cooking. You should only need a couple minutes on each side for these thin strips. 

Toss all the veggies and beef then devour. You can do these in lettuce wraps, on tortillas, or on cauliflower rice. 

If you are paying attention, these fajitas follow pretty well the zone guidelines.  My boyfriend has done zone for a while now, and I jumped in a little before we started dating. In fact, I think it might have been one of the things that brought us together. 

Partly, this was due to the fact that I did not think the meals he was eating looked appetizing, as four cups of green beans looks a lot like misery to me, and I decided to butt in and develop recipes that were zone and pretty and yummy.  Crossfit zone doesn't really approve of bread, and that did scare me a bit. But I do love a good challenge. 

So fast forward a couple of months and this is one of the tastier dishes I have developed. Flavored vinegars and oils from quality stores add a lot of flavor options without having to drown something in oils and heavy spices. I have become quite addicted to Fustini's Blood Orange EVOO and the Espresso Balsamic Vinegar. Eventually I may even branch out and try new ones. Maybe. 

It has long been my argument that food brings people together. Healthy food doesn't have to be boring, and good times can be had without caloric overload. It just takes a little creativity and quality products. 

Happy crafting!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment