Saturday, June 22, 2013

Fresh Fruit Crisp: Leftover Fruit Salsa in a Tasty Dessert!

 Ingredients:
-1/3 C or so of fruit salsa per Ramekin (I used my peach mango fruit salsa recipe found here: http://greenzebra9.blogspot.com/2013/06/peach-mango-fruit-salsa.html )
-Equal parts flour, brown sugar, and oats (you can mix up a cup of each and store it in a Ziploc bag if you like, or mix up a smaller portion to suit your needs) about an inch thick
-1 TB butter per ramekin

Preheat your oven to 350.  Grease the ramekins, bottom and sides, butter is perfectly acceptable for that.  Put in the fruit salsa, then the topping mix of the flour, brown sugar, and oats.  Put the pat of butter on top.  Sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon sugar.

Bake for 22 minutes, with the ramekins on a cookie sheet.  It is good just in case something would run over, and it makes them much simpler to get out.
You will definitely want to let them cool a little bit before you eat them.  The mango especially holds heat well and you are going to get scorched if you try to eat it right off the bat.

These were FANTASTIC! We have always had fruit crisp off and on growing up and I have had it at various places throughout life and I love how vibrant this one was.  It had so much flavor, it was tart but sweet and it just tasted bright.

I HATE things that taste syrupy.  Some canned pie fillings are just fine and work well, but others just taste heavy.  I like things that taste as bright as real fresh fruit does.  This was honestly my favorite crisp I have ever had.

I am not sure exactly how well my other fruit salsa would work with something like this since it had kiwi in it.  This one had peaches, strawberries, and mangoes and they all played nicely.  I take fruit salsa all the time for lunch at work.

This particular batch of fruit salsa made me 2 days of lunch, we topped some fish with it for two people, and it made 3 crisps.  THAT my friends is a lot of meals out of less than ten dollars of fruit.  I would have spent more than that buying lunch out those two days. 

I highly suggest making these in ramekins...if we had a whole pan of it I would be eating it AGAIN. 

Happy crafting! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment