Sunday, June 1, 2014

Snickers Pie and the Start of 52 Weeks of Wonderful

First the Pie, then the story:
CRUST:
-1 C ground roasted unsalted peanuts
-1/4 C cocoa powder
-1/4 C sugar
-2 Eggs

FILLING:
-8 oz heavy whipping cream
-1 pk reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature
-1 C powdered sugar
-1/4 C PB2 (the powdered peanut butter)
-1 tsp vanilla
-1/4 C almond milk

OTHER:
-Snickers (I like the mini unwrapped bites)
-Caramel
-Chocolate sauce
-Rough chopped peanuts

Preheat your oven to 350F.  Grease a pie pan and mix all of the crust ingredients together.  Press into the bottom and up the sides, and bake for 10-12 minutes.  Allow it to cool.

Whip the filling ingredients together starting at a low speed to incorporate then whipping on high until a thick creamy custard-type texture is achieved and all of the lumps are out.  After the pie crust is completely cool, add half the filling mix in.  Put a layer of ground peanuts down and drizzle a little caramel over the peanuts.  Top it with the rest of the filling mix.  Drizzle caramel and chocolate over the top and put snickers around the edges.

Chill it for an hour or so, or pop it in the freezer.

I made this for my dad who is retiring.  I think "Happy RePIErment" is a pretty delicious sentiment, and maybe much tastier than a card or flowers.  He loved this pie, although he agreed it must be eaten in small slices as it is very, very rich.

The first year I did this blog, I did something every single day for the 365 Day Craft Challenge.  It was great because it taught me a whole lot about cooking in a very short period of time.  However, I am transitioning from the 365 Day Craft Challenge to something that I am calling 52 Weeks of Wonderful.

Partly, this is because I have a new job and a whole new schedule and I am not always creating new things every single day like I was.  More importantly though, I want to start transitioning into cooking things more elaborate, more delicious, taking things a few steps up.  Because really, some things can be as simple as a salad yet be incredibly delicious.  A salad can change a meal.  A dessert can make a meal.  The main dish can overshadow anything else.

And those are the things I want to get closer to.  Taking what I know, and making the best version of it.  This pie?  This is wonderful.  I would definitely classify this as wonderful.  The filling would be amazing in cupcakes also, by the way.  So that is my next blog and life step, refining.  Fewer posts, but hopefully better end results.

Thanks for sharing in my food journeys!

Happy crafting. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment